8 Year Old's Maths Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hi there! I’m a teacher and you’re right to be using ones rather than units :-)
Strictly speaking it ought to be "multiples of b^0", where b is the base under consideration. How else are the little buggers going to get grips with whole numbers of arbitrary length and in bases other than 10?

And if anyone gets confused with dots instead of commas in long numbers, avoid working for a European company, and particularly avoid working with Indian colleagues who think in lakh and crore.

Reactions: C R

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oi it's Math. Don't put an 'S' on it with a Math Teacher around. I still call it MathS at work - drives the MathS team mad.
How about sending the Math teachers to an English class? Their illiteracy doesn't set a good example to the pupils.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How about sending the Math teachers to an English class? Their illiteracy doesn't set a good example to the pupils.

Hah. We've been arguing with a Maths Prof the last few weeks about 'funding' - yeh, I'm a lowly Chartered Accountant, that can add up with a computer ! They understand the numbers, but not the fact that this current situation means job losses if not carefully managed.... so yup, they do just numbers.....

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I think the Maths and English teachers should have coordinated on that question. The 8 is not a number, it's a digit within a number. A more pertinent question would have been something like: what is the value that the underlined digit adds to the number?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A more pertinent question would have been something like: what is the value that the underlined digit adds to the number?

Well yes, but we're not talking about how to ask the question, but about how to explain the answer to a student.

For my sins, I teach both Maths and English (though not at the moment, obviously) and the idea of "place value" isn't really that difficult to explain to students. Well not until you start talking about the value of places after the decimal point. :whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes, thats what I meant. It is initially surprising that decimal (place value) numbers are not necessarily unique.

The countable vs uncountable infinities thing was one of my "wow" moments.

The other was when e^i pi + 1 = 0 dropped out of a result we were shown on the blackboard. I think we all gasped out loud when we first saw that

Reactions: C R

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Surely not. No matter how many recurring .9's you get in the number, it will always be smaller than 1.
In the same way that fractions and recurring decimals don't mean the same: eg. 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1 whereas .33 recurring x3 doesn't equal 1, but we all know it means the same, unless it is critically important.

Top Bottom