8 Year Old's Maths Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the same way that fractions and recurring decimals don't mean the same: eg. 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1 whereas .33 recurring x3 doesn't equal 1, but we all know it means the same, unless it is critically important.

No, they are the same. .33 recurring is exactly 1/3. Thus 3 * one of them can't be different from 3* the other

Profpointy

Legendary Member
w
Surely not. No matter how many recurring .9's you get in the number, it will always be smaller than 1.

No, they are simply different ways of representing the same thing, rather than different things almost but not quite equal

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
w

No, they are simply different ways of representing the same thing, rather than different things almost but not quite equal
That doesn't seem rational. It might be taught that way for maths or physics, but if anything is 0. something of 1, it's an infinite fraction, meaning that no matter how long the recurring 9's go on for, it'll never reach 1. A bit like if you keep halving the distance between 2 points, they'll never touch. If you had a microscope strong enough (infinitely strong if you will) you can always keep measuring the distance and just keep adding fractions of 1 on to the end.

That doesn't seem rational. It might be taught that way for maths or physics, but if anything is 0. something of 1, it's an infinite fraction, meaning that no matter how long the recurring 9's go on for, it'll never reach 1. A bit like if you keep halving the distance between 2 points, they'll never touch. If you had a microscope strong enough (infinitely strong if you will) you can always keep measuring the distance and just keep adding fractions of 1 on to the end.

Ok assume that 0.9999... is less than 1. If you add something (> 0) to any of the digits, the result is > 1, so it must be the closest number to 1, but different.

Then
1 - 0.99999..... = a > 0 (say)
And
0.9999... < 0.9999... + a/2 < 1
But that can't be as 0.9999... is the closest number to 1. So 0.999... is not less than 1.

Any decimal which can be written down (finite) has this property so
3.6 = 3.59999999.....
Etc

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here's a (non-proof) way of looking at it.

1 .33 recurring is exactly 1/3
We do agree on that I assume.

2 Multiply 1/3 by 3 - what do we get ?

3 Multiple .33 recurring - do we somehow get a different answer?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Yes, assuming you mean the 9s go on for ever

Recurring decimals aren't a problem, because they're not on the syllabus. :rolleyes:

It's things like understanding that, for example, 12.5 isn't the same as 12.05, that I meant when I referred to place value after the decimal point.

Recurring decimals aren't a problem, because they're not on the syllabus. :rolleyes:

It's things like understanding that, for example, 12.5 isn't the same as 12.05, that I meant when I referred to place value after the decimal point.

Sorry got carried away :-).

That makes sense to me.
Another angle is that "infinity" rarely "makes sense" as a concept - you have to define what you actually mean by it!

e..g what IS 0.3...... ?
Well it's actually a third, isn't it? It's the amount you get if you divide something up into 3 bits. That's the only thing that matters - that is how we *use* it in our "language".

(You are never going to actually get to 0.3...... by adding lots of numbers together; because it would take you infinitely long :P )

Profpointy

Legendary Member
100 lines "I need to keep my teaching on subject & within the scope of the audience"

This is the 5th page of a thread, and whilst somewhat off topic, it's more a "broadening" than a derail surely? Hey, no one's even mentioned Hitler yet

Top Bottom