80 cc bicycle convertion kits are they legal in the uk and stockists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's not a cat in hell's chance of getting them road legal. Brakes, lighting, tyres - they'd all need sorting out.
Shame, really - I recently rode one and it was fun, but I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

sreten

Hi,

I remember the Cyclemaster :

1949-cyclemaster-1.jpg

All of a limp 25cc two stroke but still had to be registered and tested as a moped in the UK.

Which killed it as a going option in the UK, given at one point in the UK, at 16 you could
buy and just ride on L-plates ride a Yamaha FS1E that could be tuned to do 60 mph +.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
One of these motorised cycles overtook me earlier this year, Christ, I didnt hear him coming and it came as quite a shock to be overtaken by a MTB when I was probably doing 20mph on a roadbike :laugh: A very impressive turn of speed.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hmm, well perhaps 20 is an guesstimate, nevertheless, his turn of speed was impressive. We'll never know what sort of engine this fella had of course.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Hi,

I remember the Cyclemaster :

1949-cyclemaster-1.jpg

All of a limp 25cc two stroke but still had to be registered and tested as a moped in the UK.

Which killed it as a going option in the UK, given at one point in the UK, at 16 you could
buy and just ride on L-plates ride a Yamaha FS1E that could be tuned to do 60 mph +.

rgds, sreten.
My first thoughts were the bsa winged wheel!
arc0328a.jpg

OP
OP
N

not bradley

thanks you all
so basically its classed as a moped and needs tax etc, I have only seen one of these on the road but had no chance to talk to the person riding it.

I have looked online re ebikes but most seem to be abiout 45-50 lbs in weight .

some of the kits to add electric assistance to your cycle seem to be very pricy.

looks like I will carry on dismounting my bike and pushing it uphill as usual,

thanks again

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
looks like I will carry on dismounting my bike and pushing it uphill as usual,

thanks again
What's the bike and what's the hill? With the right gearing and a bit of stubbornness you'd be surprised at what it's possible to wind your way up:
DSC01808.JPG

Linford

Hi,

That is what they are good at, going up hills, and into strong headwinds.
But given they shut off at 15mph I've had no problems going past them
on the flat, though downhill the extra weight should help for more speed,
but not really, as hardly any have proper gears for going downhill.

TBH if they could do 20mph before shutting off (pedal assisted or
not) they would be lot more interesting to committed cyclists.

There is a world of difference between 15mph and 20mph.

In their favour though is whilst you can't go fast easily,
they are great at preventing you going slowly, and
take all the effort out of setting off from a stop.

Conversely one could argue you can go faster overall
on a normal bike and generally an electric bike prevents
the development of the fitness needed for a normal bike.

Personally, whilst its still possible I'll struggle up the hills.

rgds, sreten.

I clocked my colleagues Wisper905 at 20mph when I came past him on my PTW...this was also on a slight uphill gradient.

Bodhbh

Guru
I followed an e-bike up a hill the other day and was very impressed at its turn of speed.

I got scalped by one a few weeks ago. At first I can't say I was overjoyed to be overtaken by a fairly portly lady on a shopping bike who was hardly breaking sweat. The giveaway was the huge front hub and it didn't get any faster going down the otherside.

sreten

One of these motorised cycles overtook me earlier this year, Christ, I didnt hear him coming and it came as quite
a shock to be overtaken by a MTB when I was probably doing 20mph on a roadbike :laugh: A very impressive turn of speed.

Hi,

Sounds a thoroughly illegal electric bike. Instead of them conking out at 15mph like they are
supposed to, various shenanigans are available. Regearing indirect drive or setting the
controller to a much smaller direct wheel size than the real wheel size. Ignoring the
law and going from 200W max to 500W max makes for a very quick electric bike.

However the legal bikes are good uphill and into headwinds, anything else you can stuff
them on a normal bike.They don't go fast on the flat and most riders won't go fast downhill.

Legally the guy on the MTB who overtook you doing ~ 20mph would have to be
doing it by pedal power alone, I doubt you think that is what actually happened.

rgds, sreten.

Linford

Hi,

Fair enough, but all assist is legally required to cut off at 15mph.
So what are you saying ?

rgds, sreten.

That these older bikes are not compliant with the law. It has a twist grip throttle and he rarely pedals it. It also has a 250watt motor. It is like a gutless moped.....you'd never keep up with it on the hills though on a regular bike

markharry66

Über Member
Alien bikes are great its my next bu60y off road about 25 miles an hour. Just cost puts me off 1,600.
I had electric bike a few years back weighed about 80 or 90 with sla battery. Got me to work everyday cant really complain

Top Bottom