80 Mile ride in 4 months.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilf

Hi everybody!

I have not been on my bike for several months apart from 1 hour on my Turbo, i was thinking to enter a local sportive Squires and spires in northamptonshire on May the 2nd , choosing the 80mile option. My question is as i have not cycled more than 3 miles to work everyday on my MTB, and one hour on my road bike,on the turbo as above, would 96 days be a big ask to train for such an event? if not any training plans would be most welcome. This is my 50th year so i need to get bike fit in order to complete all the crazy ideas i have for this year.
look forward to replies.

many thanks
Wilf

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
80 miles in 4 months? 20 miles a month? Should be a breeze!

OK, read your post properly now.

As long as you are prepared to put in the hard work, train hard at least three times a week from today, and go out in all weathers, I don't see why not.

But there again, I've never done 80 miles on a bike, so best waiting for better advice.

Dene

It will not be a problem, just don't over stretch yourself at the start, increase your distances gently and make sure you make it a regular thing then you will be okay. If you cycle to work you could work out a longer route if you have the time.

earth

Wilf said:
Hi everybody!

I have not been on my bike for several months apart from 1 hour on my Turbo, i was thinking to enter a local sportive Squires and spires in northamptonshire on May the 2nd , choosing the 80mile option. My question is as i have not cycled more than 3 miles to work everyday on my MTB, and one hour on my road bike,on the turbo as above, would 96 days be a big ask to train for such an event? if not any training plans would be most welcome. This is my 50th year so i need to get bike fit in order to complete all the crazy ideas i have for this year.
look forward to replies.

many thanks
Wilf

Easy

Just increasing your weekly ride by 5 miles a week for 13 weeks will take you to 65 miles.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Do-able if you want to!
Build up your miles, as other folks have said. I found, once I could do about 40 miles on a ride, my main problem was getting a sore bum (although that appears to affect women more than men). Once that was more or less sorted (with saddle and riding position), getting the mileage up was not too difficult - just to remember to eat plenty, drink plenty, and take some rests.

(Probably not a good idea to try to lose weight by limiting your eating at the same time as getting your mileage up from 3 to 80!)

bigsav

I started cycling again in May/June last year. I started on my old MTB and eventually bought a road bike. My aim was to complete a lap round Lough Neagh at the end of August.

I started with a few 10-13 mile runs and tried to increase from there. I wasn' terribly disciplined in my training and hadn't done anything longer than 55 miles before i took on the 87 miles route around the lough. I coped ok but did find the last 15 miles tough. I ended up doing it in 4hrs 50mins.

There is a training programme on the Lap The Lough website that can get you ready in a ten-week time frame. If you even roughly stick to it you'll be fine. It's very doable.

Enjoy the training!!

Armegatron

Spinney said:
I found, once I could do about 40 miles on a ride, my main problem was getting a sore bum (although that appears to affect women more than men).

This is a problem for me too, but Im a bloke :tongue::blush:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You should have no problems whatsoever. Once you can ride 10+ miles in one go it is an easy step to go the extra distances.

GAVSTER

It starts with the first mile.

Try knocking off a cheeky 15 or 20 this weekend. An hour and a half at a gentle pace - you'll love it and want to get out more often.

80 miles is a decent distance - what would concern me is it is a flat-ish 80 or a hilly 80. If hilly then start getting some hills in. If not then just have fun and you'll make it !

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
start early on the day so you won't have to worry about arriving back too late.

on the training front, start with a little and often. try longer distances at weekends (cycling clubs are great for this) and you should be fine. i'd second the advice on getting some hill climbing in, if there are any on the sportive.

TVC

Hi Wilf,

I'm doing the Squires and Spires myself, and did it last year. I don't have much to add to the comments above regards training, but will note that you don't have to decide whether you're doing the 80 or 50 mile route until you sign in on the day. It is also possible to switch routes if you set off on the 80 but don't feel up to it, just let the timekeeper know when you return. You would be surprised how many people did so last year.

Regarding the route(s), the most difficult (hilly) bit is the last 15 miles from Althorp to Nazeby, so if you can train over that bit in the build up, it won't be so scary on the day.

BTW Wilf, where are you based?

ceeque

Regular
have never done a "proper" sportive (yet!) but last year I knocked off 70+ miles (Manchester - Blackpool and to and from the event start) and I`m 56 with quite a few health complaints! Hardly did any training, a few 10 milers coupla times a week and the odd 25 miler but nothing too serious and found the thing pretty easy and managed to even get off my bike at the end of it all on my own!
The only thing that`ll chuck a spanner in the works is the hills! Train for little and often and build it from there, if it ain`t a race you`ll do it no problem .... just get some grub and drinks down you often enough and you`ll be fine!

Downward

Guru
Hi, Old Thread I know.

But I am hopefully going to do the Strava Gran Fonda, 130km next week. Don't think I am too concerned about fitness but time in the saddle. I cycle daily commuting wise 1 hour 40 mins total. The longest time in one go through is 3 hours, 40 miles but I try to do 25 - 40 miles every weekend. My total mileage this year is around 1250 miles.

Any advice ?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Hi, Old Thread I know.

But I am hopefully going to do the Strava Gran Fonda, 130km next week. Don't think I am too concerned about fitness but time in the saddle. I cycle daily commuting wise 1 hour 40 mins total. The longest time in one go through is 3 hours, 40 miles but I try to do 25 - 40 miles every weekend. My total mileage this year is around 1250 miles.

Any advice ?

Take your time and either take plenty of fluid or have access to it on the way around, you will drink much more on an 80 mile ride than a 40 mile ride.

Top Bottom