80 Mile ride in 4 months.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
What about breaks - Recommend taking any ? Stop half way for lunch or eat on bike ? I have plenty of supplies that's for sure and I have been doing the shorter 20-25 mile routes without food and just a bit of water.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
What about breaks - Recommend taking any ? Stop half way for lunch or eat on bike ? I have plenty of supplies that's for sure and I have been doing the shorter 20-25 mile routes without food and just a bit of water.

It isn't a race so take as many breaks as you want. I tend to only stop to either pee or top up fluid, I always carry to much food with me

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'd suggest short breaks for a little time off the bike, maybe 5 mins every 20 or so miles, but not so much your legs stiffen up. On organized rides, I often wait until the end to eat lunch, as it is part of the event, and included in registration cost. I usually wait until after the ride to eat a meal, but bring a lot of snacks and drinks for the ride. Hydration and fuel is necessary on a ride of this length. It is also a good idea to bring something you are used to, so no surprises with indigestion or otherwise.

Don't just get on your bike to train, get on it ti pop to the local shops, to see your friends. If your family is out for the day, go too but cycle there instead of getting in the car with them.

As soon as you see cycling as a mode of transport as well as a ride the miles will add up and that's what you need, even short local distances.

Downward

Guru
Back did 81.7 miles today. Yes big issue with sore bum from 50 miles ish. Would happily do 50 miles again with food. I found bananas to work good for me food wise. Drank 3 litres in the end too.

It got windy too in the afternoon so that took it out of me. Think I prefer shorter rides to be honest though.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Back did 81.7 miles today. Yes big issue with sore bum from 50 miles ish. Would happily do 50 miles again with food. I found bananas to work good for me food wise. Drank 3 litres in the end too.

It got windy too in the afternoon so that took it out of me. Think I prefer shorter rides to be honest though.

Well done, the wind was just a bit bothersome today :bravo:

Downward

Guru
Mmm nice day though. Sadly it seemed the 1st 20 miles was a bit slow. Seems all the country routes are covered in gravel. 1 was even covered in sand !

Seem ok now went to take my lad to football for an hour and a half and been up and down stairs numerous times with no real aches.

Worst pain now is my arm as when sitting down I put my arm on nettles.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mmm nice day though. Sadly it seemed the 1st 20 miles was a bit slow. Seems all the country routes are covered in gravel. 1 was even covered in sand !

Seem ok now went to take my lad to football for an hour and a half and been up and down stairs numerous times with no real aches.

Worst pain now is my arm as when sitting down I put my arm on nettles.
http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Sting-from-a-Stinging-Nettle

@Downward well done, longer distances do become easier, I am no great distance rider, but I am happy to do up that sort of distance in day, IF I have to, like tomorrow. i will be doing 70+ but that will be over the course of the day, probably be more tired from being up so long than the actual riding bit.

Top Bottom