80s Raleigh Royal, or am I barking up the wrong tree...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markc94

Hi everyone!

My flatmate and I are in the market for some touring bikes, but as students everything seems to be a bit out of range price wise.

We have been looking at the Roux Etape 150 and the Adventure Flat White, but I feel that I could be better placed getting something second hand?

The new Raleigh Royal looks like a great touring machine, but again out of our price range - is there anything to be said for the multiple 'old' raleigh royals that are to be found when scouring ebay? Or are these not really tourers?

Also, used touring bikes seem nearly impossible to come by on the web, is there anywhere in particular I should be looking?

We are considering touring the Pacific coast of the US this summer if we get sorted

Thanks!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You can tour on anything. Some may be more suitable than others but anything comfortable and mechanically sound will get you there. When I started my pal had an ex police bike with 28 inch wheels and double crossbar. We covered most of Scotland and bits of England with him using this bike. I had a " racer" with a single gear freewheel. We had a great time but then in teens it is easier.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The old Raleigh Royal is a very different beast to the current model - it was hand-built from 531 steel in Nottingham, whereas the current Royal is 4130 chromoly and probably factory-made in the Far East. Not necessarily saying one is better than the other though.

I have a late-80s vintage Royal which I bought second hand in 1988, IIRC. I would say it was a very capable and fast, lightweight touring machine. I took it laden with camping gear across the Alps. Unfortunately it is now relegated to hanging decoratively on the wall of my garage because of a knackered chainstay. Not really worth the cost of repair.

Also worth noting that the old Royal was built for 27" wheels and 80s components - threaded steerer, down tube shifters etc.

U

User32269

Worth looking at 80's & 90's rigid mtbs in my opinion. Still cheep. Strong steel frames that can be welded easily if disaster strikes on tour. Bombproof 26" wheels. Braze ons for racks and guards. Gears to get you up a wall.

OP
OP
M

markc94

Worth looking at 80's & 90's rigid mtbs in my opinion. Still cheep. Strong steel frames that can be welded easily if disaster strikes on tour. Bombproof 26" wheels. Braze ons for racks and guards. Gears to get you up a wall.

I've seen these mentioned quite a few places, what should I look out for? Are there any particular brands/models/groupsets you recommend?

Last edited:
We are considering touring the Pacific coast of the US this summer if we get sorted.
Are you based in the US .... or here (UK)? If the latter, you could do worse than consider buying a bike on craigslist? Adding the panniers, et al, there?

I'm just through "distance-buying" a bike for a family member in Los Angeles ... yup, and I'm in Leeds. I can vouch for the fact that there is any amount of absolute c**p on Craigslist!

But, if you know what you want, what to look for, and (more importantly) what to avoid ... there's some nice bikes to be had. As for a specifically "touring bike" - if it's comfortable, tough-and-rugged-but-reasonably-light, and can carry a load, it'll do the job :smile:.

It's what I'll do when I get round to visiting LA.

OP
OP
M

markc94

Are you based in the US .... or here (UK)? If the latter, you could do worse than consider buying a bike on craigslist? Adding the panniers, et al, there?

I'm just through "distance-buying" a bike for a family member in Los Angeles ... yup, and I'm in Leeds. I can vouch for the fact that there is any amount of absolute c**p on Craigslist!

But, if you know what you want, what to look for, and (more importantly) what to avoid ... there's some nice bikes to be had. As for a specifically "touring bike" - if it's comfortable, tough-and-rugged-but-reasonably-light, and can carry a load, it'll do the job :smile:.

It's what I'll do when I get round to visiting LA.

UK based (Edinburgh), but I'd be a bit wary about buying a second hand bike and not having the time or equipment to modify it, if need be? I think I'd rather have the bike in hand, and see what needs changed, and then fly it over?

U

User32269

I've seen these mentioned quite a few places, what should I look out for? Are there any particular brands/models/groupsets you recommend?
Just look for decent quality (back in the day) cro mo frame, make sure it's got all the braze ons you need for mudguards and racks. Ive liked GT bikes I've had and decent Raleighs. Can still find them with original shimano groups on, which is a testament to how rugged they are!
Google mountain bike tourer conversion for some pointers.

Edit: though I've never attempted to head across USA on one! Done OK for a weeks camping tour fully loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have an original steel Kona Cinder Cone that would do that duty in a heartbeat. Probably better than my 1983 Raleigh Royal (now long gone), especially as mine was pre-cantis, so braking with a load wasn't the sharpest.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Probably better than my 1983 Raleigh Royal (now long gone), especially as mine was pre-cantis, so braking with a load wasn't the sharpest.

Did yours have the Weinmann centre-pulls? I never thought they were that bad at the time, but that may be from lack of experience of anything better. I wonder what I would make of them now...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Did yours have the Weinmann centre-pulls? I never thought they were that bad at the time, but that may be from lack of experience of anything better. I wonder what I would make of them now...
It did indeed, at least to begin with, later replaced with swanky Weinmann sidepulls (were they the 510s or 610s or somesuch) with Modolo unitary pads, which whilst as dirty as anything did improve response quite markedly.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
if you're in edinburgh go to edinburgh cycle co-op, they know their stuff. used bikes are fine, you need to ensure they can take front and rear racks. £400 should get a decent one on ebay. dawes galaxy is OK. I prefer 26 inch wheels though.

OP
OP
M

markc94

Where should I look for said used 90s Mountain bikes? Ebay? Or is there somewhere else cyclists tend to sell their wares?

Also I realise there must be hundreds of models, but are there any particular models that are recommended over others?

bigjim

Legendary Member
If you come acroos a good 80s Royal snatch it up. I stopped touring on my old Royal just two years ago when the frame was damaged on a flight back from France. I have another mint condition one that is too precious to take on a plane.
14304783880_47f0e4fb02_c.jpg

I've a Marin Bear Valley

bom_23afc2YdK_ZiCQ9pQR-lfgfrktQjO85PcxfMAODpiwiXPa91v8D1VDUYjM-PoqeDPM55hcnUfXCE0YvceawFIWAbZkpQ.jpg

After about '97 they went to a suspension fork and early 90's had canti brakes. They were a popular bike so it should be easy to get hold of one. You might need to upgrade the brakes and fit a riser stem.

Top Bottom