80s Raleigh Royal, or am I barking up the wrong tree...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

markc94

All the MTB mentioned seem to have sizing in the 18" range, I'm a tall guy and currently riding an old 25" Schwinn 434, is it possible to get these bikes for bigger guys?

U

User32269

5' 10" - 6' 1" 178 - 185cm 19 - 20" L
6' 1" - 6' 4" 185 - 193cm 21 - 22" XL
6 '4" - 6' 6" 193 - 198cm 23 - 24" XXL

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you're in Edinburgh then it would be worth finding Edinbugh Bicycle Coop and trying out their Revolution Country 1 - https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/revolution-country-1-16.html

There's no need to tour on drops though. A good hybrid will be able to tour very nicely, and usually you can find decent hybrids both new and second hand a bit cheaper than their drop-barred equivalents.

OP
OP
M

markc94

Has anyone ever heard of the ELSWICK TURBO 12? I found one on the web that has a huge frame, looks perfect for my height. Hard to tell what the bike is like though?

tyred

Legendary Member
Has anyone ever heard of the ELSWICK TURBO 12? I found one on the web that has a huge frame, looks perfect for my height. Hard to tell what the bike is like though?

I'm not familiar with that model but the name suggests 12 speed (2 x 6) derailleur so some sort of road racing bike from the 80s.

Elswick were a respected brand with a very long history. It probably isn't one of their nicest bikes but would be a decent steel frame (probably plain guage tubing but that's probably better for touring) and like most bikes of it's time and type I'd expect mudguard clearance and rack mounting points. It would make a perfectly good touring bike.

But, and there is a few big buts - it's probably got a 42/52 chainset and perhaps a 14-24 freewheel block so the gearing is a bit on the high side to put it mildly. If the intended route is flat(ish) it probably wouldn't matter but if you're heading for the hills with a loaded bike and that type of gearing, accept you'll be doing some walking. Changing the block for a 14-28 (cheap enough from ebay) would help a little but to build it into a good touring bike you'd really need to swap the chainset for something with a smaller inner ring.

It's highly probably it's got chrome rims too so stopping the loaded bike on a wet day on a steep descent could prove "interesting." Manageable but you'd need to ride with anticipation. Basic 700c or 27" alloy wheelsets can be bought for ~£70 from ebay and they work fine in my experience. My first few tours were done on cheap wheels like that without issue. Just adjust and grease the bearings before fitting as they are always too tight from the factory.

I've seen these mentioned quite a few places, what should I look out for? Are there any particular brands/models/groupsets you recommend?
Seen some 90s Cannondale M500s on Ebay, have got one and great touring bike, original Sun rims are bombproof but upgrade original cantis to Avids, cheap and worth it.

OP
OP
M

markc94

Seen some 90s Cannondale M500s on Ebay, have got one and great touring bike, original Sun rims are bombproof but upgrade original cantis to Avids, cheap and worth it.

All I can find is a frame for one in Poland at the minute :sad: but I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In Edinburgh there is bound to be a charity which recycles used bikes and sells then on to benefit the charity. In Glasgow there are a couple of places ( like Common Wheel ) and one in Bridgeton somewhere. The bikes are refurbished and I got one a few years ago from Common Wheel. The only thing they do not do is repaint. Not familiar with Edinburgh but I am sure if you ask around you will find such a place.

All the MTB mentioned seem to have sizing in the 18" range, I'm a tall guy and currently riding an old 25" Schwinn 434, is it possible to get these bikes for bigger guys?
Mtn bike sizing is not the same as road bike sizing. 18" would be a large bike in a mtn bike frame. Probably suitable for someone over 6'. It will vary according to manufacturer, so some research might be needed but in general a 15" bike is small, 17 medium and 18, large.

l. We had a great time but then in teens it is easier.
:smile:

Yes, you can do anything at that age - it's all new/an adventure. Barring death (very unlikely) you can do anything. An old friend of mine remembers a scottish tour with a friend in their student days. The friend turned up on a bike with 2 punctures. They had a great time.

90s ridgeback from the 600 range, should do just fine
Just arrived here - you are ahead of me.
I don't know the 600 range (steel mtb?) But yes i would recommend pretty much any steel (but not high tension steel) 90s ridgeback, mtb or hybrid. Hybrid better for on road.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
You could spend a lot of time looking for the "right" tourer when you could easily just get a "right" hybrid for the job. The web is littered with hardly used hybrids bought by people intending to ride/lose weight and then giving up very quickly, there are great bargains to be had and little risk in bikes with so few miles under their wheels.

I've posted this many times before...............my tourer was stolen just before I set off on 1000 mile tour of Spain, I bought a 3 month old Specialized Sirrus for £200 from a local guy and with only a change of tyres flew out to Bilbao a few days later. It was just fine and when I returned I put it on Ebay where it sold for £365. ^_^

Specialized Sirrus, Trek FX, Dawes Discovery, I'd happily do your trip on any one of those. Get the right size for you, stick some bar ends and rack on it and off you go...........

I have both steel & aluminium hybrids at the mo' and wouldn't really have a preference as to which to take on my next tour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom