81 yr old MX5 driver ploughs into cyclists on A-road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I disagree. Someone whose mental state has deteriorated so far as to need such instructions, probability doesn't have the capacity to judge what she is doing is dangerous. If she didn't write that note (and I suspect she didn't), then whoever did is the person I would like to see in court.

Edit:

So you'd like to see that old lady seriously punished? To what end? She's not going to do it again. Other old people who are sliding into dementia are not going to learn a lesson. If they were capable of that, they wouldn't need cheat notes to drive.

Those are very good points which I agree with.
However it didn't help me when, in 1974, I was convicted for driving with excess alcohol and banned for a year.
Me telling the prosecuting officer that I was too p1ssed to know what i was doing didn't cut the mustard, apparently :headshake:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
. If she didn't write that note (and I suspect she didn't), then whoever did is the person I would like to see in court.

Perhaps all would have been well if note writer had added: 'Don't mow down any cyclists you pass.'

simongt

Guru
The man who rear ended me last year was 87. He'd been nagged by his family for some time to give up driving. It took a collision and the police to persuade him that it was for the best. :dry:

So what happened to the MX5 driver 18 months ago? ??

johnnyb47

Guru
OMG. I've just spotted this thread and viewed the video clip. That was truly frightening to watch and hope the victims are on the mend. Seeing videos like this really makes you stop and think at how vulnerable we are "out there" and does put me off cycling on the roads to some extent. Such videos for anybody considering taking up cycling must really have a negative impact on there decisions.
From what i saw of it, the cyclist did move out slightly to avoid a pot hole hole or something (which he's perfectly in him/her right) and that was when the driver hit them. It looked like the cyclist was then smashed into the others. As a motorist and cyclist myself, I think the driver actions was appalling. He should of slowed down and waited for the on coming traffic to pass before overtaking and then give plenty a space whilst doing it. A good space is always needed because cyclists by nature never cycle perfectly parallel to the edge. General wobbles or pot hole avoiding is a normal way we ride. I may be stating the obvious here as we can all see it, but i think there should be more advertisement media on tv on how mindful motorists should be towards cyclists, especially as cycling is becoming ever more popular.
P,S its Snowing here in Wales. The first this winter!!

Kryton521

Über Member
Yep I agree with what you put is absolute bollocks, I suggest you rewatch, yes the driver was too close, yes he should never have tried to overtake, yes it wasn't safe, but the cause of the accident was the rider moving of line which he had full rights to do, had he not done that there would have been no accident, if would have just been a VERY unsafe pass. BUT more importantly if the driver hadn't been there there would have been no accident.
No. No And no again. This was not an "accident" It was terrible driving. Didn't see or react before or after hitting the cyclists. Made no attempt to avoid them. Totally blinded to them by the oncoming traffic.

Simple truth is, insurance companies should and could do more to get bad drivers off the road. Black box technology exists, if it meant the roads were safer I'd have one.

Top Bottom