81 yr old MX5 driver ploughs into cyclists on A-road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
We say that you can’t drive before a certain age so why not over a certain age as well? Both are just averages.

I know an 86 year old who is probably a better driver than me (he’s my father) but in view of the seriousness of what is at stake with driving (see the OP) I would have no problem with a ban on over 80s (or any other suitable, preferably evidence based, age) as a blanket measure that on average protects the public.
So despite being a better driver than you, you want him banned?

classic33

Leg End Member
I would agree to this if they passed a full medical check.
Provided its not just applied at one end of the age scale.

That's where the courts could help. Quuestion is why don't they impose a re-test?

swansonj

Guru
Why not a re-test instead of a blanket ban?

Because I think tests measure ability to drive not normal driving standard. A test would indeed filter out the old people eg whose reaction time was no longer adequate but not those whose concentration is going but who can still concentrate when they try enough for a test.

In general, I think that’s a real problem with driving tests and is why I set little store on retests after criminal offences.

So despite being a better driver than you, you want him banned?

Yes, for the reasons I gave. Thank you for reading my post correctly.

Slick

Guru
Because I think tests measure ability to drive not normal driving standard. A test would indeed filter out the old people eg whose reaction time was no longer adequate but not those whose concentration is going but who can still concentrate when they try enough for a test.

In general, I think that’s a real problem with driving tests and is why I set little store on retests after criminal offences.

Yes, for the reasons I gave. Thank you for reading my post correctly.
That's okay, it wasn't difficult.

D

Deleted member 1258

I would agree to this if they passed a full medical check.

When we reach 70 our licences expire and we have to reapply for our licence, then we have to reapply every three years. A requirement to have a medical when we reapply should enable the ones that shouldn't be driving to be weeded out.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
When we reach 70 our licence expires and we have to reapply for our licence, then we have to reapply every three years. A requirement to have a medical when we reapply would enable the ones that shouldn't be driving to be weeded out.
The like for the information given, not the fact you have to reapply.

Julia9054

Guru
My 86 year old father in law recently drove into a parked car. He has no idea what happened and we suspect he has had a black out. A&E checked him out and discharged him. The police did not come to see him and the insurance company said he had 60 days to get another car and they would automatically reinsure him. It took a couple of weeks of nagging to help him realise that this was a bad idea and that it was time to give up driving. What if he decided otherwise? Who could make him? Totally irresponsible of the insurance company in my opinion.

Top Bottom