81 yr old MX5 driver ploughs into cyclists on A-road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Shocking driving. And blows out of the water the often heard view of drivers that cyclists shouldn't ride 2 abreast, and that they should ride in the gutter. This group were in single file, well into the left. Which may, or may not, have had a bearing on their fate. That depends whether the driver saw them and tried to squeeze through; or just didn't see them at all (perhaps because of the low sun) and would have ploughed into them anyway.

Slick

Guru
Nobody should be driving after 80. I don’t care how much you cry about it.
I'm not trying to be smart, but I'm assuming you don't know many 80 year olds?

Slick

Guru
The driver who ran into the back of me was 87, so Mitzy has a point.
Not really. I'm not saying the driver who hit you or the one in the film were or weren't fit but a bit much to say it's over for you at 80 no matter what condition you get there in.

swansonj

Guru
Not really. I'm not saying the driver who hit you or the one in the film were or weren't fit but a bit much to say it's over for you at 80 no matter what condition you get there in.
We say that you can’t drive before a certain age so why not over a certain age as well? Both are just averages.

I know an 86 year old who is probably a better driver than me (he’s my father) but in view of the seriousness of what is at stake with driving (see the OP) I would have no problem with a ban on over 80s (or any other suitable, preferably evidence based, age) as a blanket measure that on average protects the public.

Milzy

Guru
How about involuntary euthanasia are you a supporter?
No.

Milzy

Guru
We say that you can’t drive before a certain age so why not over a certain age as well? Both are just averages.

I know an 86 year old who is probably a better driver than me (he’s my father) but in view of the seriousness of what is at stake with driving (see the OP) I would have no problem with a ban on over 80s (or any other suitable, preferably evidence based, age) as a blanket measure that on average protects the public.
Finally somebody with sense.

Milzy

Guru
My brother was doing fast track days on a motorbike at 80, his wife stopped him doing any more after he had a big off. Not sure what that has got to do with things though.
I think that is brilliant he was doing that. It's on a track though, not on public roads. I've seen lots of old people drive unsafe. They dither around making other users impatient thus inviting incidents to happen. They can't even remember the highway code & lose their glasses when they're on their head. The Mazda driver only took the two riders down because of his poor judgement due to been old.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think that is brilliant he was doing that. It's on a track though, not on public roads. I've seen lots of old people drive unsafe. They dither around making other users impatient thus inviting incidents to happen. They can't even remember the highway code & lose their glasses whwn they're n their head. The Mazda driver only took the two riders down because of his poor judgement due to been old.

I do not think there is an age limit on poor judgement, I would like to see more testing though.

classic33

Leg End Member

Why not a re-test instead of a blanket ban?

Top Bottom