8th day of the week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I came across some advert which asked me to imagine an eighth day of the week. The advert was for some car and clearly they were suggesting if there was another day in the week, then you could enjoy it by driving the car.

In reality, I guess we would just have to work an additional day. Or more likely, it will start off with no trading on 8th day law, then it will turn into morning trading only, then all day, then all night. And before you know it, you'd be working the 8th day and/or being on-call for it or some other such work-related schedule. But it won't be your free time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I came across some advert which asked me to imagine an eighth day of the week. The advert was for some car and clearly they were suggesting if there was another day in the week, then you could enjoy it by driving the car.

In reality, I guess we would just have to work an additional day. Or more likely, it will start off with no trading on 8th day law, then it will turn into morning trading only, then all day, then all night. And before you know it, you'd be working the 8th day and/or being on-call for it or some other such work-related schedule. But it won't be your free time.
It's an old idea,

View: https://youtu.be/jZzEvqDQfIA

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought that it wa a missed opportunity when we went metric in 1971. We could have had a 10 day week and 10 month year.
It would have evened up things with the 10 year decade and 100 year century.

:tongue:
I believe that when the US and the UK were establishing Greenwich as the site for the prime meridian the French came up with a demand to metricise time. The Anglo response was to say that if they wanted 100 minutes to the hour and 10 hours to the day (and presumably 100 degrees to a circle) they could do as they wished but we're sticking to 60 minutes. And we're still sticking to it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How many degrees would have been on the compass bezel under a metric system?

All this is daft at a time when there's a growing demand for the pound to be revalued at 99 pence, meaning shops could stop giving us back a penny every time we buy anything.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I believe that when the US and the UK were establishing Greenwich as the site for the prime meridian the French came up with a demand to metricise time. The Anglo response was to say that if they wanted 100 minutes to the hour and 10 hours to the day (and presumably 100 degrees to a circle) they could do as they wished but we're sticking to 60 minutes. And we're still sticking to it.
Sadly they got their way with Greenwich Mean Time.
Sacré bleu, WTF does Universal Time Coordinated mean anyway!

classic33

Leg End Member
Sadly they got their way with Greenwich Mean Time.
Sacré bleu, WTF does Universal Time Coordinated mean anyway!
As far as I can tell, UTC means GMT. CE means AD and BCE means BC. HTH....
UTC is a Time Standard, GMT is a Time Zone.

Neither UTC nor GMT ever change for Daylight Saving Time (DST, BST in the UK). However, some of the countries that use GMT switch to different time zones during their DST period.

Top Bottom