9/11 - 20 years ago. Where were you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I was on a plane between Edinburgh and Helsinki.

Got on the Finnair flight at EDI, all normal. Got off the plane at Helsinki just to see one of the planes smack into the WTC. :eek:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I nipped out of the office as the boss found we ran out of coffee. On my way back I noted a large crowd gathering around the TV rental sop watching it all unfold on the window TV display. When I got back to the office, staff were in the MD's office listening on his radio.

Proto

Legendary Member
I was at work, in the workshop, when a colleague walked in and said that a plane had flown into the WTC. Not sure why but he thought it probably a small Cessna type. A simple plane crash, terrible but nothing more.

Made all the more disturbing for me as only a week before i’d been on top of the south tower with my family taking in the spectacular views. As the towers collapsed I thought of the people we met and chatted with on our visit - the female lift operator, the guy who served me at the cafe on the top floor, and others. Truly horrible.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
I was at work, in the workshop, when a colleague walked in and said that a plane had flown into the WTC. Not sure why but he thought it probably a small Cessna type. A simple plane crash, terrible but nothing more.

Made all the more disturbing for me as only a week before i’d been on top of the south tower with my family taking in the spectacular views. As the towers collapsed I thought of the people we met and chatted with on our visit - the female lift operator, the guy who served me at the cafe on the top floor, and others. Truly horrible.

A Friend should have been at a meeting on the upper floors of the first tower to be hit, but his secretary booked the flight from London for the wrong date. Without that error...

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
A Friend should have been at a meeting on the upper floors of the first tower to be hit, but his secretary booked the flight from London for the wrong date. Without that error...
This is how conspiracy theories start. What did they know? :rolleyes:

Chromatic

Legendary Member

A while after the attack I found out a childhood friend of mine was there in one of the towers, although I was more friends with her brothers I obviously knew her and we were friends too. She didn't make it out.

On a later trip to NY we went to the memorial and I wanted to spend time there to find her name, but on the day it was raining and we didn't have much time to have a good look round and we decided to get on with our day's itinerary. Have since found her name on one of the on-line lists of victims.

On the day it happened I was at work, all I can recall of the day is keeping upto date with the unfolding news in between working.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another one who was at work here. My office didn't allow connection to the internet so I think we first heard it from someone who 'phoned us. Like others upthread, our impression at the start was that it had been an accident with a light aircraft. We happened to have electricians in doing some work in the kitchen and one of them had a pocket telly which got set up and we had a lot of visits to the vending machine as an excuse to see what the latest was. One of my rounds coincided with the fall of the second tower.:sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Seth MacFarlane was booked to be on one of the flights, but missed the flight as he'd been on a bender the night before and was badly hung over. Clearly he was privy to that information...

Top Bottom