9 speed cassette on 8 speed wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just noticed one of the spokes has cracked out of my wheel on my main commuting bike which is 9 speed.
So I have an old bike 8 speed which I didnt think about at the time and thought just swap the wheel and cassette but the 9 speed cassette would not fit as it was sitting proud by about one cog. I was in a rush and no real clue what I am doing so will make do with the old bike for tomorrow. So do I need to go buy a new 9 speed wheel or is there some thing else I can swap over
Any pointers welcome thank you

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
check there’s not a cheeky hidden spacer still on the freehub; 9 speed wheels need one for an 8 speed block.

it’s easy to miss...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5028142, member: 43827"]Isn't there a possibility the wheel will need dishing to take a larger freehub and/or the spacers on the axle adjusted slightly?[/QUOTE]
No, the splines on the freehub just extend further towards the wheel centre (that's why the 8 needs a spacer behind the cassette) this is provided the OLN dimension is the same on both frames.

OP
OP
captainhastings
thanks every one for the replies. I will check for the spacer on the 8 speed. Don't fancy swapping the hub as I am not good at these things. The bike in question I need up and running is a Dawes Karakum and very nice it is too to ride.
If I end up buying a wheel would this be ok ?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wilkinson-...I4dW8veqn1wIVDmQZCh0lXAgHEAQYBCABEgLebfD_BwE#
I know it is not double walled like the existing one but need to watch the pennies so just want to get up and running

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The Karakum uses MTB rear hubs rather than road ones, so the wheel you've linked to is too narrow. You need something like this: -
https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-...-wheel-zac19-shimano-deore-fh-t610-black-7-10

Road bike rear hubs are 130mm from one lock nut to the other, whereas MTB (and hybrid/touring bike) ones are 135mm. I think the Karakum is an aluminium frame. Fitting a narrow wheel in an aluminium frame will stress it and could lead to the frame cracking so it's not really a good idea :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
where the spoke fits it has cracked a chunk of wheel out unfortunately
Something like this?
2hzss3k.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
So do I need to go buy a new 9 speed wheel or is there some thing else I can swap over
Your local bike shop should be able to replace and relace the rim (which is what you've said has failed). This would not take long though would probably work out a bit more than a cheap wheel replacement. But you'd likely end up with a better rim than the Alex one (I assume) which has failed you. The spec for the 2017 Dawes has the rear wheel as 36 spokes so just note that @mcshroom 's link is to a 28 spoke wheel (which may be fine, depending how sturdy you are).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Your local bike shop should be able to replace and relace the rim (which is what you've said has failed). This would not take long though would probably work out a bit more than a cheap wheel replacement. But you'd likely end up with a better rim than the Alex one (I assume) which has failed you. The spec for the 2017 Dawes has the rear wheel as 36 spokes so just note that @mcshroom 's link is to a 28 spoke wheel (which may be fine, depending how sturdy you are).
I'd missed that!

Looking at the page I think they've messed up the description there. The hub is listed as 36h, the rim is listed as 36h and the picture looks like it's 36h. I think they got confused with a 28 inch somewhere on there. Also I've had a look elsewhere and I think the Deore T610 hub only comes in 32h and 36h varieties.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Shimano 8 and 9 cassettes are the same size, and should fit on the same hub with no need for spacers.
Are you sure the 8 cassette is going right on, without (for example) catching on a burr where a sprocket has gouged the spline?

davidphilips

Veteran
If you have the time to do it your 9 speed cassette should fit onto an 8 speed freewheel far as i know they are the same 9 speed cassettes have an extra cog but are narrower, as for the width of the 8 speed hub you could change over the axles putting the wider 135mm axle onto the 130 hub and add a spacer at either side.

Top Bottom