1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9 speed chainset

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by TAV, 13 Jan 2018.

1. TAV

TAV Über Member

Hi will a 9 speed chainset work with a 8 speed chain and groupset as im trying to put a 9 speed tiagra chainset on my bike with a 50 34 setup.

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Yes.

3. OP
    OP
    TAV

TAV Über Member

I asked this guy who was selling one from a shop on ebay and he told me that it wouldn't because the distance between the chainrings would be a different size and i would have problems with the shifting because the difference in size with the chains.

4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

9 speed chains are slightly thinner but as long as you stick to an 8spd set up (including chain) you'll be fine. I use a 105 10spd crank on my Raleigh Equipe with the rest being 6spd.

5. OP
    OP
    TAV

TAV Über Member

Cheers for that info great news i think im going to go for a 10 speed chainset then.

6. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

As a rule of thumb, one speed different on the chainrings will work fine.
    Sheldon is worth reading: about 2/3rds down this page.

7. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I run a 9 speed Tiagra chainstet on my 8 speed Sora setup, works every time.

raleighnut likes this.
  8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

You could even put an 11spd chainset on, the pitch is the same it's just the rings are a fraction thinner so may wear a bit more quickly (but no faster than they'd wear with a full 11spd transmission and chain as they use the same face of the teeth that any 1/2 inch pitch chain does)

Smokin Joe likes this.