9 speed drive train components ****All Sorted mow****

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
Looking to set up a 9 x 1 MTB before buy new has anyone got any bits. 9 speed cassette, rear derailleur, chain and chainset single ring 170mm for preference. Moderate quality preferred but all considered. I have a compact 11 speed 105 chainset available for swaps. Can pay also

Ajax Bay

Guru
Would be worth you specifying the frame's BB type.
Buying a used cassette is a mug's game, but maybe someone has a cassette and associated chain with "very little wear" which you trust.
Worth specifying gear range desired as I assume you'll want at least an 11-36 cassette - the guy I caught and rode with today had a 40 ring and an 11-42.
A 1x might be easiest sourced by using a double and mounting a chain guard instead of the large ring.
If 1x won't you need a wide-narrow?
Almost any 9 or less RD will do: they all have the same shift ratio.
"any 6 to 9 speed RD will work perfectly with either 6, 7, 8 or 9 speed shifter. Regardless whether it’s a MTB, or road shifter, or RD."
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1278/bicycle-rear-derailleur-compatibility/

All uphill

Still rolling along
Would be worth you specifying the frame's BB type.
Buying a used cassette is a mug's game, but maybe someone has a cassette and associated chain with "very little wear" which you trust.
Worth specifying gear range desired as I assume you'll want at least an 11-36 cassette - the guy I caught and rode with today had a 40 ring and an 11-42.
A 1x might be easiest sourced by using a double and mounting a chain guard instead of the large ring.
If 1x won't you need a wide-narrow?
Almost any 9 or less RD will do: they all have the same shift ratio.
"any 6 to 9 speed RD will work perfectly with either 6, 7, 8 or 9 speed shifter. Regardless whether it’s a MTB, or road shifter, or RD."
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1278/bicycle-rear-derailleur-compatibility/

Useful comment on the RD.

On my 9 speed everything bike I use an Acera RD which shimano say is good for 6,7 and 8 speed. It works perfectly.

OP
OP
Nibor

Nibor

Bewildered
I am aware of this thank you hence did not specify however do you have anything to offer maybe apart from your obviously expansive knowledge.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am aware of this thank you hence did not specify however do you have anything to offer maybe apart from your obviously expansive knowledge.
Looking to set up a 9 x 1 MTB before buy new has anyone got any bits. 9 speed cassette, rear derailleur, chain and chainset single ring 170mm for preference. Moderate quality preferred but all considered.

I too have some 9 speed cassettes and chains which you are welcome to choose from (but as said, used cassettes are risky). But they are the same range as Chris'. And several RDs all of which would do, but I suspect would not meet your 'moderate quality' preferrence. I've never seen a 1x 9 speed chainset: do they exist? Delighted you have full awareness. I merely alerted you to the various detail that I thought potential donors would find useful, eg:
What is the BB?
Do you want/need a narrow-wide chainring?
What sprocket range are you after?
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nibor

Nibor

Bewildered
Thanks for your input I was a little arsey sorry. I am with you on the chain and cassette and will more than likely go new. Looking for a chainset that will take a 34 or 32 if it comes with a narrow wide that is a bonus. But also a rear derailleur capable of a 11-34 ish range which I guess is most of them.

Top Bottom