90 % Heart rate for 30 mins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

eh? I aim for 90% on 25's so thats an hour of "hell" 10's are more like 93% so 23 minutes of "hell".

eh? What you aim for on a 25 ( or any other TT for that matter ) is to be at certain points on the course within certain times so you know you will be on the podium.

Your heartrate will be what it will be. It doesn't matter a jot.

hambones

If you feel you like the idea of a formula then use the one I was told, namely 210 minus half your age. It seems more accurate and works quite well for everyone who has posted above...

Garz

Squat Member
Agree on the bog standard formula being way off.

For healthy people who cycle a lot you would have to bump up the MHR by around 10-15 so if the calculation was like jims being 170 his realistic max would be more like 185.

a_n_t

eh? What you aim for on a 25 ( or any other TT for that matter ) is to be at certain points on the course within certain times so you know you will be on the podium.

Your heartrate will be what it will be. It doesn't matter a jot.

podium on an open 25? well i can dream.

my point was that its not hard to average over 90% MHR for an hour for me,

Hont

Guru
my point was that its not hard to average over 90% MHR for an hour for me,
The OP mentioned 96% and that he was enjoying it. No-one really "enjoys" a time-trial (masochists aside), until you cross the line, realise you've done a good time and then get selective memory about how you actually felt on the bike ;-). I agree that it is not hard to get your HR up and keep it there, but it's not "fun". Grimly satifying but not fun.

jimboalee

If I used the "220 minus age = MHR" equation, 90% of that is 153 BPM.

I'd be up around here for probably half of a 10 hour 200km Audax BR.

But as I've implied many times, I only use a HRM in the gym, and at 260 Watts ( 20 mph on my Dawes Giro 500 with full mudguards ), I'm at 150 - 155 BPM.

jimboalee

Distribution of Power Output During Cycling

letriathlon.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/cycling-pace-review.pdf

Read through this and pay attention to where they talk about Max Heart Rate.

KRUSSELL

The problem is the heart monitor
cool.gif
if you were ok before you bought it throw it in the bin.
What did we do before ?

PK99

Legendary Member
220 minus my age = 170.

I can keep 165 - 168 for half an hour with little problem.

Its in the 300 to 325 Watts output region. That's standing up with the gym bike on level 21 out of 25.

I don't like doing the full Maximal Heart Rate ramp test.

I know that if I can keep 300 to 325 Watts for half an hour, I can climb up Horseshoe Pass.

my max by the formula is 165.

a few weeks ago i averaged 159 on a 3 hour ride feeling very comfortable and only stopped at that point to enjoy the view.

220 - age is useless as a training tool

Top Bottom