90 pound cycle computer, never used

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
i paid 90 pound for a boardman cycle computer with cadance sensor, used it for the first three hundred mile on my mtb, then never bothered with it since, and it doesnt even add to the odometer total miles if its not pressed before you set off.

all in all 90 waste of money, due to gps being used instead on phone,

take it most people are like this too ?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
IPhone with strava app for my day to day runs and Garmin 500 for my longer rides .

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have my Cateye Strada Wireless for odometer, time spent riding, average & max speeds etc. I also have a Strada Cadence that came free with my turbo trainer in Dec 2012, which helps me judge my efforts when I'm on the turbo and trying to keep a steady pace / HR between certain levels.

I've tried using my phone to map rides & provide stats, but it's a pain to turn it on, pop it safely away in my rucksack and repeat in reverse at the end of the ride. It also sucks the like out of the battery.

A basic cycle computer is fine unless you're a real stats junkie!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
20 quid wireless Halfords computer on my Jamis tourer/audax bike gives me all the info I need. Proven to be accurate and so far reliable.

On my Scott road bike I have had a wired Halfords basic computer which cost less than a tenner ands has given faultless service for more than 5 years .Had about 3 new batteries and the terminals on the back have needed cleaning now and then but thats all.

byegad

Legendary Member
I only have a simple miles/speed/distance/total/time/average speed computer on one of my rides and when that fails I'll not replace it.

mattobrien

Guru
I like my figures and have a Garmin 510, standard stats on the screen are;
Distance
Current MPH
Duration
Time of day
Cadence
Heart rate

The second screen also has overall ave. MPH and temperature instead of the time, although temperature under reads, so isn't really of much use.

I like to know how fast I am going, how quickly I am pedalling and my heart rate at any given time. Does it help me ride faster, maybe, does it make me happier, yes.

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member
@smokeysmoo i know, to be fair when i got it i never even knew their was dedicated gps units

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No, my phone is a 2G phone so none of this fancy "ladedah" smartphone rubbish:tongue: and I have no desire to "upgrade" it.
Had to get a new phone a while back when some fool nicked my (free from avon if you bought 25 quid of product, Girlfriend loved that years Birthday pressie) old one. Got a great deal on a Sony with over 300 hours standby time cos nobody else wanted to buy them anymore. Just the job for a week long cycle-camping trip.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
i paid 90 pound for a boardman cycle computer with cadance sensor, used it for the first three hundred mile on my mtb, then never bothered with it since, and it doesnt even add to the odometer total miles if its not pressed before you set off.

all in all 90 waste of money, due to gps being used instead on phone,

take it most people are like this too ?

Nope, use a Mio cyclo 505 for every day use, and also a Satmap if I am following a route I don't know and/or is a fair distance

Top Bottom