A 1959 Sturmey-Archer 4 speed FG dynohub, two questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I have been trying to maintain my neighbour's old Raleigh. It has a '59 SA FG hub. When I first saw it, the inspection window was on the LHS. I thought this was incorrect, as the 1950s service manuals on the SA heritage site show a beautiful drawing of a hub with the window on the RHS (like my own 3 speed shopper bike) right underneath the legend "FW, FM, FC and FG Hubs". Having seen the photo an FG hub for sale on e-bay, I now think the windowed nut should be on the LHS. Can any owners of 4 speed hubs please confirm this for me?

Secondly, when I first got the bike, I could only get 3 gears and after much jiggling of the tubular part on the indicator chain, I removed it to clean the threads and could not get it to re-engage when I tried to screw it back in. I pushed the brass part emerging from the LHS, whilst trying to screw in the indicator rod from the RHS. I think that by pushing, I have pushed the part inside the hub and there is no threaded part for the rod to engage with. Can anybody with experience of such a hub please advise me as to the best course of action?

I fear that brownie points earned with my neighbours by fixing their hoover and brush cutter, have now been well and truly wiped out.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Push it back out with the RH toggle part? It can't disappear into the internals as far as I know - the slot in the axle isn't big enough.

OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
Can you still turn the wheel, when it's on the bike.
No, there's no drive at all when I turn the pedals. That's how it was when I first got the bike, so I don't feel too guilty. However on Saturday, when I put a tiny bit of tension on the cable, I did manage to get gears 4,3 and 2. I wish I'd quit whilst I was ahead.

Push it back out with the RH toggle part? It can't disappear into the internals as far as I know - the slot in the axle isn't big enough.
There's nothing there to push out.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a chance that the part you're trying to "find", may simply have turned round within the axle. Smaller chance still that it may have slid out.

Was there anything "pushing" against you as you moved the rod out?

Top Bottom