A bad day at the office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Ok so set out to do a 50 miler this morning. To start with my valve had become detached from the inner tube so had to change it out before starting. 20 miles in i get a puncture. New inner tube number 2 fitted blown up with a co2 canister, 500 yards further on and that tube was done for (thought it was a thorn that i'd removed after the first puncture but turned out i missed the flint that had slice right across my tire so new tire also required) Fitted new inner tube 3 tried to blow that up with another co2 canister and the valve on the inflater exploded on me. So had to use my hand pump to blow that up.

A further 10 miles down the road and i find my rear tire is flat. Inner tube number 4 now fitted and had to hand pump this one up too. (Thank god i was riding with friends and we had plenty of spares between us) To top this 10 miles from the finished i bonked as had slightly forgotten to eat regularly having to change all the inner tubes. Friends stayed to help me to the end. :smile: On the plus side a shower and food when i finished soon got me going again.

Had never had a puncture on a ride before but that cherry has well and truly been popped now!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Bad luck , thats the way it goes sometimes.

At least you have had some practice so next time the fairy
visits you will be an expert.

Highlights the need to thoroughly check the tire before fitting the new tube.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Bad luck , thats the way it goes sometimes.

At least you have had some practice so next time the fairy
visits you will be an expert.

Highlights the need to thoroughly check the tire before fitting the new tube.

That is very true will be ready when it happens again. Not sure I would call it a visit from the fairy though. Lol

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Having had these issues though what are everyone's thoughts on a hibrid co2 inflator and manual pump now I'm in the market after the exploding valve.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Having had these issues though what are everyone's thoughts on a hibrid co2 inflator and manual pump now I'm in the market after the exploding valve.
They're only as good as the hand pump and on the one's I've used that has been rubbish. Best bet is forget Co2 and buy a decent mini pump like a Lezyne which will get a good pressure without too much effort.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+1 I much prefer to put my faith in a good mini pump. Lezyne or Topeak (pocket rocket is particularly good IMO) make very good pumps that will put enough air in quickly and easily to not ruin your ride with sore arms and squidgy tyres.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

I use a mini pump to put a bit of air into the tube before I inflate it properly with the Co2, stops the exploding tube problem.

This was my thinking with the hybrid pump use it to put a little air in and then CO2 to inflate. I have a mini pump on the bike never leave home without it but trying to get it a tyre to a decent PSI becomes very very tiring. Just thought a hybrid pump could mean that i wouldn't need to carry two separate pieces of kit. Just wondered if anyone had had any experience using one of these pumps.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
At least you were with friends :okay: I was riding a sportive today on my own (ie without anyone I knew) Only took one spare tube on the ride & left one in the car :blush: Only had my CO2 pump, but 3 cartridges. Should be ok on a 60 mile ride :blush: Set off in the first group & 4 of us were doing quite well & no one passed us. Around 30 miles I felt my rear going flat on a climb, wasn't going to stop on a hill, so got to the top & my rear was partially flat, so fired a bit of CO2 in & all was well. Was hoping I'd make it to feed stop & 38 miles to change tube, but a few miles further on the rear was going down again. Fired some CO2 in again, but could hear it escaping straight away :sad: so decide to change it roadside. A few riders started coming past & most asked if I was ok :smile: removed the offending flint, fit new tube & inflated, fit wheel back on bike & just about ready to go, psssssst flat again :angry: removed it all again & it appears the tube was faulty near the valve, so I'm now down to one cartridge but no tube. Thought about tying a knot in the original tube to get me home, then another guy stopped & gave me a tube. He wasn't on the sportive, just happened to be riding buy, but I had no cash on me, but he wasn't bothered, just glad to help :angel: So if anyone on here was riding near Brockelsby & gave a stranded cyclist a new tube :cheers: Fingers crossed for the rest of the ride & no further incident, but missed a gold time by about 5 mins :cry:
Wasn't a cheap tube that was faulty, but last time I ordered 2 the supplier sent me too many, so don't think I'll be complaining :whistle:

NorvernRob

Looks like yesterday was the day for it! I did a 100 miler with a friend, the weather forecast was good with very little chance of rain. 30 miles in it started raining heavily and didn't stop! The route took us down a track that ended up as a mudbath, my wheels wouldn't turn and I had to poke the mud away from the forks and brakes with a stick. When we got back to a main road we had to fill a water bottle with puddle water and spray the bikes clear to get moving again.

By this point I was shivering and really suffering, we set off again and I started to feel ok. We went through a nature reserve, got to the other side and Garmin had lost the route. We had to keep stopping and navigating with my phone for the last 40 miles home, when I did get home I realised my saddlebag was gone! £25 at Wiggle to replace the stuff inside, not only that but my new Fulcrum Racing Nites are scratched and chipped slightly from the awful conditions.

Somehow we still managed to average nearly 16mph, when I got home I literally never wanted to see a bike again and if a weatherman had been stood in front of me I'd have strangled him!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Looks like yesterday was the day for it! I did a 100 miler with a friend, the weather forecast was good with very little chance of rain. 30 miles in it started raining heavily and didn't stop! The route took us down a track that ended up as a mudbath, my wheels wouldn't turn and I had to poke the mud away from the forks and brakes with a stick. When we got back to a main road we had to fill a water bottle with puddle water and spray the bikes clear to get moving again.

By this point I was shivering and really suffering, we set off again and I started to feel ok. We went through a nature reserve, got to the other side and Garmin had lost the route. We had to keep stopping and navigating with my phone for the last 40 miles home, when I did get home I realised my saddlebag was gone! £25 at Wiggle to replace the stuff inside, not only that but my new Fulcrum Racing Nites are scratched and chipped slightly from the awful conditions.

Somehow we still managed to average nearly 16mph, when I got home I literally never wanted to see a bike again and if a weatherman had been stood in front of me I'd have strangled him!
We've all had nightmare rides like that. The funny thing is that after a few years they're the ones you look back on with the fondest memories.

Top Bottom