A bargain road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Havoc6

I read somewhere once about motorbikes someone said I need to change my bike I need more power , the question was then asked if Valentino Rossi got on that bike would he go faster ? , yes. Well you haven't got everything out of the bike you already have then was the answer. I could have the best bike in the world but with a fat unfit twonk like me on it won't make me a Wiggo. :laugh: enjoy riding what you have got.

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
That's cause Rossi is a god and the G.O.A.T :smile:

I (obviously) own a Viking its a steel framed Clubmaster, I've had it for over 12 months and done probably 4000 miles on it and no major problems (apart from a stuck seat post which I have now decided to leave stuck and bottom crank bearings). It cost £220 (Rrp £349.99 yeah right) From err..... Halfords.

But at the time of purchase I hadn't rode a road bike for nearly 30 years and only bimbled about 20 miles a year on my mountain bike. So I spent what I could afford to leave in the shed if I didn't get on with it, now I'm looking at spending bit more on a Giant when 2014 range comes out, but will keep the clubmaster as winter hack and will still enjoy riding it when I have to.

Snobbery often stops people buying perfectly good items because they aren't a brand name..... Slazenger Polo shirts £8 for 2 anyone?

mustang1

Guru
Wow. Thanks for that.

I ask, because I have a Trek 2.3 (2010) and when looking to buy was considering a carbon frame as opposed to an Alu with carbon forks.

I am really happy with it but after reading your post, I will make sure NOT to try a carbon frame otherwise I may not feel not so happy about mine :biggrin:

Actually getting back to the OP, as long as were happy with what we've got is the main thing. (as I go off to look at carbon frames, damn you fletch456 :biggrin:)

Last year I found a SuperSix on closeout. I arranged a test ride but the day prior to the ride I felt i shouldnt spend so much money on a bike so I was gonna cancel the test. But the following day I felt the mechanic had set it up for me, the least i should do is test ride it and I just WONT buy it. Mistake. I came back to the shop grinning ear to ear and with a huge smile asked for a further discount. The guy said no but I was already taking out my credit card. The ride was fantastic.

Tyke

It may compare well to other alu frames but compare it to a carbon and you will see the difference. I tried 3 different carbon bikes, all around £2000 at the weekend and could tell a difference betweeen each one.

Main thing perhaps is you're happy and if someone gets what they feel is a bargain from your post then it's all good.
OP said if like me you are on a small budget for a road bike then I recommend a Viking torino. £2000 is hardly a small budget. Not to most of us anyway.

sreten

Hi,

Why do people insist on upgrading wheels is a good idea ? A must do ?
Surely a well reviewed cheap bike like the Triban 3 has relatively decent wheels ?

I've tweaked the spoke tensions* on my budget road bikes wheels and have
no intention of of ever upgrading them, I think its simply not cost effective.
They are round, pretty straight and do the job, double walled and aero.

As for bashing the Triban 3 because its a great bike at the price, ....

rgds,,sreten.

* they did ride a bit better with evened spoke tensions.

Top Bottom