Not Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Bought a ShimanoCN-HG40 chain from Halfords on January 5th, 2024, and yesterday the gear changing on my ride was all over the place. I think the word on the street is 'ghosting'. So today I cleaned the bike, as I do after every ride now I've retired, and measured the chain. I wasn't expecting much wear, if any, considering I only bought it and fitted it last month. On the chainwear tool it was showing substantial wear (1.0 on the tool). I thought, seeing as the tool was only a cheapo one, but up to now considered accurate, I'd measure the chain with a steel 12 inch ruler. That also showed the chain was badly worn. So, January 5th to February 21st and the chain is unusable. I've swapped it out for a KMC and it's not missed a beat on a test ride. The chain was click and collect from Halfords, came in a Shimano box and was sealed in cellophane. I've no good reason to suspect it's a fake Shimano one. I'm not happy, as you'd understand, and I guess it's not Halfords fault. I'd expect better quality from one of the top brand names in cycling. I'll go back to using KMC, which I would have got last time if they'd had one.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That's disconcerting.. I assume you're returning it..?

Ajax Bay

Guru
47 days. Think you need to share with us how many (1000) km you have ridden (on that bike) in that period.
Also let us know how the replacement (8sp) chain gets on, on that cassette. I'd be surprised if a cassette which has done mileage with a 1% elongated chain doesn't skip like an active primary school child with a new skipping chain rope.

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Guru
Not many miles in that time. Three rides a week and each ride is around 40 miles, so not excessive. As for returning it....no I'm not. Even though I've got the receipt how can I prove the chain I'm returning is the one I bought? It didn't cost a fortune and I'm not prepared to waste my time arguing the toss with no way of proving the chain I have is the genuine article I bought from them. I've put 'feedback' on the Halfords site but that's as far as I've gone. I usually have a stock of spare chains in my shed and it's my fault for letting the stock run out.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not many miles in that time. Three rides a week and each ride is around 40 miles, so not excessive. As for returning it....no I'm not. Even though I've got the receipt how can I prove the chain I'm returning is the one I bought? It didn't cost a fortune and I'm not prepared to waste my time arguing the toss with no way of proving the chain I have is the genuine article I bought from them. I've put 'feedback' on the Halfords site but that's as far as I've gone. I usually have a stock of spare chains in my shed and it's my fault for letting the stock run out.

Matter of principle (which could also help others down the line), but if you can't be arsed I guess that's your preogative.

Top Bottom