A Bianchi on the radar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nickl52

I posted last week about purchasing for my first road bike.. I have been to look at the Giant Defy (09 model). It felt really comfortable but they only had a Defy 1 in stock and said that the new Defy 3 model would be coming in the next couple of days. I then popped into Evans Cycles to see what they had in and came across this Bianchi:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/nirone-7-xenon-2009-road-bike-ec016953

It looked really nice but unfortunately my frame size was not in stock. I am now in a quandry about whether to wait for the Defy 3 to come in at £625 or have another look at the Bianchi which is more expensive at £740.

I was wondering whether the Bianchi has better spec for the extra £100 compared to the Giant Defy for which their is a link below:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21476&catID=960

Any advice appreciated - Nick

I've got a Giant SCR so I'm partial to them and am thinking about a TCX cross bike this year. Not so sure on that yellow paint scheme although I've never liked that horrible green colour on the Bianchis which is worse!

MajorMantra

The Bianchi seems a bit expensive for the spec to be honest and none of those 3 are exactly bargains. Have you seen this?:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Variado_Compact_2009/5360037598/

It's cheaper than the Defy and has similar spec to the Trek. The Downside is you have to get it from Wiggle rather than your LBS.

Matthew

OP
OP
N

Nickl52

I've not really come across the Focus range before so dont know too much about them. I have used Wiggle before for parts for my mb and have had no problems. However, I would prefer to use my lbs for piece of mind and servicing etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
I saw the white Via Nirone at my LBS a few weeks ago...my heart melted ;)

I brought the Via Nirone with Xenon 10speed and full carbon fork in mid 2008. Still love it to bits.
No issues mechanically other than the apparently common slight buzz occasionally from the shifters.
I can see the Miche cassette is wearing a bit :biggrin: which is slightly dissapointing, but perhaps i'm expecting too much.

What did shock me was the price....£750 in my LBS. I paid £549 for mine maybe 14 months ago...thats one hell of an increase for a bike that's basically the same as mine...bar the paint scheme.

Still....if comparable bikes have seen the same increases....its a beaut of a bike in my eyes.

What i noticed then is true now....You can get the latest models at your LBS for the same price (or as good as) as Evans and the like.
Would i go to Evans..or my LBS. No contest. My LBS win every time...and they're only a small independant.
There again...perhaps Evans IS your LBS.

gavintc

Guru
Heart and head. The heart says Bianchi, I also love campag on Bianchi. You will not be riding the run of the mill US export model. The Giant is probably better value, hence the head. It will be vanilla - but boring, but will be a bike that everyone has and Shimano is pretty good. Personally, I would buy the Bianchi.

Tynan

Veteran
I started with xenon and found it fine, the brakes are a bit plasticy when compared to more expensive ones

discontinued now init? but all the campag stuff is completely interchangeable, I've got xenon, veloce and centaur now

Top Bottom