A Big Box arrived this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Can anyone pinpoint the year when the rot set in, and those aesthetically pleasing designs started to get ousted by the ugly stuff with their misshapen oversized tubes? It's not quite a straight steel vs carbon thing either, as some very early CF stuff wasn't ugly looking.
Once you abandon the "function dictates form" mantra, unless you are very careful you end up deep in the design dung heap. IMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I like the writing in the background on the photo of the frame. Very appropriate. :okay:
Well spotted, l wasn't aware that l had it in the photo....it is part of an earlier attempt at "graffiti " French style except that l spelt "regardes" without the second r . This is a constant source of confusion for the French friends who visit my workshop :whistle:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Can anyone pinpoint the year when the rot set in, and those aesthetically pleasing designs started to get ousted by the ugly stuff with their misshapen oversized tubes? It's not quite a straight steel vs carbon thing either, as some very early CF stuff wasn't ugly looking.
Like this one maybe
IMG_0769.JPG

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well spotted, l wasn't aware that l had it in the photo....it is part of an earlier attempt at "graffiti " French style except that l spelt "regardes" without the second r . This is a constant source of confusion for the French friends who visit my workshop :whistle:
I did notice the misspelling but I thought it was just a crease in the plastic.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I would like to say what no one has said so far: What a beautiful bike. Let us know how it rides.
I certainly will report back on the ride. At the moment it is in my kitchen so that l can go take a look once in a while !

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would like to say what no one has said so far: What a beautiful bike. Let us know how it rides.

One thing is very obvious; @woodbutcher doesn't go for mingers. There would always be room for any of his vintage steeds in my shed. Not a duff one amongst them that I've seen so far. Some of them are probably too feisty in the handling department for my liking and might give me a fright to actually ride on the road, but they are all truly stunning to look at. Even the carbon fibre is pretty - and I absolutely loathe the appearance of carbon bikes as a rule.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
One thing is very obvious; @woodbutcher doesn't go for mingers. There would always be room for any of his vintage steeds in my shed. Not a duff one amongst them that I've seen so far. Some of them are probably too feisty in the handling department for my liking and might give me a fright to actually ride on the road, but they are all truly stunning to look at. Even the carbon fibre is pretty - and I absolutely loathe the appearance of carbon bikes as a rule.
I thank you for those comments, my rule of thumb when l consider buying a bike : is it the genuine article or what we used to call in the antiques trade "a strop up" lm sure you understand what l mean. After that it has to fall into my area of interest which is Italian and French bikes usually from the 1980's through the 1990's. I admit to owning a Faggin from the 1970's but thats just because it is very beautiful. Oh and a Moser for similar reasons :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Ohh that is nice:okay:.

Full Dura Ace? I am not a fan of the brifters but the crank arms are lovely and, of course, it will all work perfectly.
Thanks for your comment, yes full Dura Ace , that is apart from the chainrings which are Stronglight, and you are right it all operates as smooth as silk.
For me being more used to Campagnolo, noisy, sometimes difficult, bordering on irrational to set up and stay that way ( not saying this is an Italian characteristic, :whistle:......On the other hand Shimano....quiet, precise and as sharp in operation as a Samuriai katana, ( not reading too much into these national characteristics am l. ) :smile:

Top Bottom