A big hello from Bristol (And occasionally Greater London)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
Hey everyone,

Well I stumbled upon this forum when searching for help with coming to grips with the breaks on a road bike after a lifetime of chunky deep grooved tyres. Within a day I've already had a whole host of brilliantly helpful and friendly replies so thank you to all who have helped me already.

I live and work in Bristol but am originally from Hampton (Near Kingston-Upon-Thames, Greater London) where I still visit every now and then.

Just over 5 weeks ago my dad unfortunately passed away. When I went home to be with my mum and sister through the hardest time in our lives to date, I discovered my dad's old road bike in the garage. During the month I spent back in London, that bike became my escape. I was up and out on it every morning before anyone else knew it was day, had my mini adventure and got back in time for a smoothie and a shower.

When it was time to return to Bristol I decided to take the bike back with me, it was to become my project. Since being back I have made several small improvements (grip, tyres, break pads, pedals) and have fallen in love with cycling once more.

So here I am, a lifetime cyclist but a newbie passionate cyclist.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome to the site and i am glad it has been helpful to you.Sorry to hear about your Dad but happy for you for keeping his old bike and looking after it,i wish i had done the same for my late Dads bike.
Ridden through Bristol to see the Clifton suspension bridge on my way to Cornwall,i will never forget those hills up to that bridge !

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Welcome! Ive just left bristol to move even further south! Lovely place just not for me (even though ive lived there my entire life!) sorry to hear about your dad.

Where bouts in bristol you too then?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

RSClio83

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but love how you have kept his bike.

I'm also living in Bristol.

Dee

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
Welcome to the site and i am glad it has been helpful to you.Sorry to hear about your Dad but happy for you for keeping his old bike and looking after it,i wish i had done the same for my late Dads bike.
Ridden through Bristol to see the Clifton suspension bridge on my way to Cornwall,i will never forget those hills up to that bridge !
Yeah, the hills leading up to that bridge can take you by surprise going either way. A good sense of accomplishment when you get to the top though.

Welcome! Ive just left bristol to move even further south! Lovely place just not for me (even though ive lived there my entire life!) sorry to hear about your dad.
Where bouts in bristol you too then?
Ah, where abouts did you used to live? I'm located Bedminster way but work near Park Street. How have you found the change of scenery?

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but love how you have kept his bike.

I'm also living in Bristol.

Dee
Hi Dee, great to meet another Bristolian cyclist.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Ah, where abouts did you used to live? I'm located Bedminster way but work near Park Street. How have you found the change of scenery?.

I used to live downend and kingswood way. Still have my house there but renting it out at the moment.

Loving the change of scenery, my commute is about 5 miles now but almost 400ft of climbing which is great!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome - I tend to stick to the north side of the river ... cos if you go too far the other side you have to go back up hill again and that's what I'm really bad at - I've been known to take longer routes to avoid steep hills:laugh:.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad but think it is brilliant that you are now riding his bike. How much did he cycle? and how old is the bike?

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
I used to live downend and kingswood way. Still have my house there but renting it out at the moment.

Loving the change of scenery, my commute is about 5 miles now but almost 400ft of climbing which is great!

Ah nice, I love the challenge of a good incline in the morning :smile:

Welcome - I tend to stick to the north side of the river ... cos if you go too far the other side you have to go back up hill again and that's what I'm really bad at - I've been known to take longer routes to avoid steep hills:laugh:.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad but think it is brilliant that you are now riding his bike. How much did he cycle? and how old is the bike?

Hehe, I know what you mean.

He wasn't an avid cyclist but really enjoyed it when he did go for a ride. He took real joy in the freedom it gave. I've no idea how old it is, I think he bought it around 5/ 6 years ago but I'm not sure it was new when he got it.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the passing of your dad, it's good to hear that you have decided to take up cycling again and it's good that a little piece of your dad will be helping you enjoy one of life's passions, keep strong and enjoy!

adds21

Rider of bikes
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I commute into south Bristol by bike every day. It's a lovely area to cycle in, even with the hills!

OP
OP
EasyCrank

EasyCrank

Über Member
Thanks guys. Yeah, Bristol is most certainly a brilliant place and they seem to be putting quite a lot of money into improving the cycling experience in the area at the moment!

Top Bottom