A big hello from Southend, Essex!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daniel T

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum after finding some great information on here recently. I have recently started road biking to push my fitness up, and to save a wad of cash each week on petrol (which is becoming a ridiculous expense!).

I am 27 y o, and bought a Rayleigh Airlite 100, to get me started and it's real light which is a bonus and I am really enjoying the challenge, scenery, and zero emmisions (apart from a few farts lol) on the commute to work.

I live near Shoebury in Essex (Southend way) and work in the centre of Chelmsford about 22 miles away. When I told my wife, and a few mates that I was going to start road biking to work they all rolled their eyes and said....good luck.

I completed my first circuit yesterday, which totalled just under 45 miles and was a fantastic experience. The scenery through some of the villages was superb and the mixture of road surfaces/inclines and declines really kept me guessing the whole way. I got up to 32mph on the way home, which was on a slight decline on one of the main roads which felt fantastic......but I quickly coasted back down to speed after visions of some tour de france crash videos I had seen on the net started to flood my mind lol! The journey there took me around 90 minutes, and back just over that (I had a vision of sausage mash and onions, which helped keep me going home!)

There were a few points where I had to dismount to cross over to cycle paths on roundabouts etc, which put the average speed down on the computer, but on the flats I managed to hover around 18-19 mph. I'm really pleased with the first run and the look on everyones face when I got home (accompanied with silence) made it all worth the hills on the way home!

I look forward to gleaning some experience and help from all on the forum,

Love & Carbohydrates

Dan

postman

Legendary Member
Hello Sarfend big well done.Keep it up and enjoy it.You do understand now that its all downhill from now on.Cycling,cycling and more cycling.The clothes are next and the bits and bobs.Ooooh what have you done.No its brilliant is cycling,get out and find yourself some cafes now.You will make new friends.

Hello Daniel and welcome to the forum from an ex Brentwood boy.

My dad's from Southend, so I know the area between S-o-s and Chelmsford/Brentwood very well; it is indeed a very attractive part of the county and great to ride.

Hope you get stuck in on the forum - it's a great laugh with a LOT of good people and plenty of uselessful advice.

huttster

Hi Dan,Yup,you're hooked,don't worry though it's not as expensive as driving,nearly but not as,i ride out chelmsford area too as i'm from Southend,well westcliff to be precise,nice to get out in the countryside,good luck and enjoy :thumbsup:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Love & Carbohydrates

Dan

biggrin.gif

Hi Dan and :welcome: from a sunny Somerset

OP
OP
D

Daniel T

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :biggrin:

Glad it's raining today lol, was up late servicing the bike and couldn't get my rear tyre off to change the tube...........was getting really p'd off because I had my bag packed for todays ride so went to bed hoping it would keep raining!

Well it did, and i'm glad I didn't miss out on a ride because of my crapness at changing tubes, I can blame it on the rain.

Here's to the sun coming out tommorow!

Love & Dextrose Powder

Dan

OP
OP
D

Daniel T

biggrin.gif

Hi Dan and :welcome: from a sunny Somerset

Thanks coffeejo!

Going to Devon/Dorset in couple of weeks for my hols! Staying in Beer to be precise......such a beautiful part of the country. Where abouts are you in Somerset?

Here's to hoping the Mrs doesn't spot my bike in the car before we leave :whistle:

D

OP
OP
D

Daniel T

Hello Daniel and welcome to the forum from an ex Brentwood boy.

My dad's from Southend, so I know the area between S-o-s and Chelmsford/Brentwood very well; it is indeed a very attractive part of the county and great to ride.

Hope you get stuck in on the forum - it's a great laugh with a LOT of good people and plenty of uselessful advice.

Thanks Dayvo,

Having a great time riding the area, and it's a bonus being able to join this forum, I know it will be a great help and a laugh too!

Have you ever ridden the stretch between South Woodham and Bicknacre/Danbury? It's beautiful and theres a great descent when you pass Danbury lakes.

D

Toeclip

Guru
Hi Daniel from another Essex lad in Thurrock

Shrimp_Stu

Bonjour, from a fellow Shoebury resident. I am currently doing the Southend Bikeathon 14mile loop every week day morning at 6am as its a bit too far for me to cycle into Canary Wharf.....
Enjoy the bike, and see you out on the roads - look out for my Orbea or my Boardman.

Top Bottom