A Big Lad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhino

Hiya,

Well just to start off, I'm a big lad. I used to weigh 22 and a half stone 18 months ago, and now I have got that down to around 20ish (still unacceptable). At one point I commuted to work for 2 weeks, doing 10 miles per day which took it out of me, but was rather enjoyable all the same.

At the moment I am driving to work due to awful weather and the fact I'm always shattered once I finish work (do about 5 miles a day walking), but I am thinking of cycling when on days off and possibly in the evenings.

I am wanting to improve my fitness which I realise I will need to have a decent diet and cut out the rubbish, but I feel cycling could be my first big step.

What would you guys suggest to start getting fit?

jimboalee

Go look at the Gb155 Sticky on this section.

That man is a star. Nothing less.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
^^^^ This.

Incidentally, don't worry about your weight on a bike. A friend of mine has just stated riding again at 23.5 Stone on a budget MTB and it's been absolutely fine and he's an aggressive off road rider.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I lost 4 stone last year by cycling and cutting down on junk food. My commute to work is only 3 miles but with some steep hills both ways but especially coming home.

At first I would arrive home shattered unable to speak and soaked in sweat.Now I do the same route and barely sweat or breath heavy at all. If you can put up with the weather and keep on commuting it will help a lot. You dont have to cycle every day.I am convinced that a daily short ride is better than one or two longer rides per week.

Before long you will want to do pleasure rides in your time off as well Hills that used to be mountains will become slight inclines you can power up no problem just keep[ on doing regular miles and you legs will soon get used to the idea.

gb155 is an inspiration to me.His achievments are amazing there are also lots of us on here who have made smaller weightlosses through cycling .I have never been on a diet as such just cut out silly stuff like kebabs and crisps,cut down on alcahol and reduced fatty food .

I tend to eat more fruit and vegetables plus cereals.Still have steak and chips or a curry now and then still have a few pints or a bottle of wine now and then .Eating is part of the enjoyment of life for me so I dont believe in strict diets , just be sensible and honest with yourself.

Good Luck and keep us posted, the support you will get on this forum is a real help.

OP
OP
R

Rhino

Thanks for all of your advice and help. I will be having a browse around on here. I'm also hoping to join a gym at the end of the month to get the ball rolling :smile:

Garz

Squat Member
Well done gaz, haven't visited your page in a while - your doing a great job and hopefully keep inspiring others!

Steve H

Large Member
Welcome Rhino.

I started this year at about 18 stone and I've lost about a stone in my first year riding. The secret is to keep getting out there on the bike. At first you think you have to push yourself really hard - the more you work the fitter you get. Try to avoid this. Just keep it nice and steady all the time and you will find you enjoy it more. This makes it much more likely to get you out there regularly.

Also at first I found it really hard to get myself out of the house regularly. Any excuse - bit of rain, bit cold, etc etc. If you take it steady and get out 3 times a week for a month, it then gets much easier.

Its chucked it down with rain over the last couple of weeks, but I've just thrown on some waterproofs and made sure I had spare batteries for the lights and strangely enough I've really enjoyed riding in the rain! Never thought I'd say that 9 months ago.

Good luck and keep at it!

Steve

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Rhino- where in Lancashire are you?

Top Bottom