A big one to watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im not in the least bit tetchy. But if someone wants simple information all they need to do is look for it. Finding this information is quicker than writing this post.

[QUOTE 5351320, member: 9609"]never come across the term "jogle" or "lejogle" before, and they seemed to be the key. lejog and his name were just returning stories prior to his attempt.

is there to be a full enquiry now into all questions asked on CC?[/QUOTE]
You're on a cycling forum and you don't know the term jogle or lejog?

OK, fair enough, I was just feeling mischievous, so I apologise for my slight teasing, I was just looking for an opportunity to use, let me google that for you.

Anyway he didn't do it and I didn't think he would. I didn't think his style suited such a record attempt.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
[QUOTE 5351540, member: 9609"]definitely heard of lejog but always though john o groats to lands end was just "lejog" backwards :wacko: never thought about jogle let alone lejogle - (i'm a bit slow sometimes)

anyway, quickly moving on.

He missed the record by 16 minutes :eek: he rides for nearly 6 days with hardly a break and misses out by 16 bloody minutes. I could cope with being a dayover and think to myself 'far enough' but to get so so close - don't know if I could cope with that one.[/QUOTE]
And 5 punctures in the first day!
That’s at least 30 minutes wasted.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well, I'm still finding the whole thing quite mysterious.

I get that Kristof was attempting to ride LEJOGLE unsupported in a faster time than James MacDonald achieved last year. It's apparent that James was fully supported, as one would expect. But it's unclear to me whether Kristof was in line for any officially sanctioned record, since I would expect the certifying body (whoever that may be; it doesn't seem to be the Road Records Association) to require a following vehicle.

One message I do get loud and clear is that Kristof's personal integrity is unquestionable. So from an observer's perspective, certification doesn't seem terribly important.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
But it's unclear to me whether Kristof was in line for any officially sanctioned recor
The article links above makes it clear: "Kristof set himself the task".

Despite the breathless adulation in the thread, this wasn't a record attempt. It was something he decided to do for himself. (And his sponsors, one of which hosts that article.)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The article links above makes it clear: "Kristof set himself the task".

Despite the breathless adulation in the thread, this wasn't a record attempt. It was something he decided to do for himself. (And his sponsors, one of which hosts that article.)
Ah OK. I see I should have persisted a bit longer with that article, as it does answer most of my questions. I found the style of the opening paragraph a bit off-putting.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well, I'm still finding the whole thing quite mysterious.

I get that Kristof was attempting to ride LEJOGLE unsupported in a faster time than James MacDonald achieved last year. It's apparent that James was fully supported, as one would expect. But it's unclear to me whether Kristof was in line for any officially sanctioned record, since I would expect the certifying body (whoever that may be; it doesn't seem to be the Road Records Association) to require a following vehicle.

One message I do get loud and clear is that Kristof's personal integrity is unquestionable. So from an observer's perspective, certification doesn't seem terribly important.

Listening to what Kristof said he appears to have lost the motivation for competition. I do not believe he was doing this ride to set any record. He wanted to see if he could it. He is more interested in inspiring other people to get out and ride and set themselves targets to aim for.

frank9755

Cyclist
I hadn't realised he was that close.

He wasn't that close to the relevant record.

He did 5 days 21 hrs 24 mins. That was 16 minutes outside the best time for LE-JoG-LE. But that was the previous record which was broken by James MacDonald - Guinness doesn't mind which way round you do it (It's not an RRA record, they only recognise LEJoG one way). MacDonald did 5 days 18 hours 3 mins. Kristoff was targeting 5.5 days, so he missed the record by 3.25 hours and his target by 9+ hours.

An astounding ride and, given he was unsupported, he was riding at a considerable disadvantage to MacDonald and others (He also put himself at a couple of other surprising disadvantages by riding without aerobars and starting in the evening). But it is a shame that a rider of Kristof's massive ability is not up for competing against others on the same terms. One of the lines in Jesse's write-up, about Kristof not having anyone else to compete with apart from himself, did not go down well amongst certain other top racers.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Interesting that in the curvecycling blog there is a route map. It appears to show a route East of Manchester. I would have thought that wasn't the quickest route (that's via Preston, West of Manchester isn't it?)

Or maybe the embedded map isn't the route he took?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Interesting that in the curvecycling blog there is a route map. It appears to show a route East of Manchester. I would have thought that wasn't the quickest route (that's via Preston, West of Manchester isn't it?)

Or maybe the embedded map isn't the route he took?

Perhaps the idea was to seek more flatness.

Top Bottom