A big one to watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Top guy. Seems to be riding Curve bikes these days. Shame - I always liked the look of the Jaeghers he rode on the TCRs.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
All enterprises of this nature are wearing a hairshirt to one degree or another. And all are generally done "for the sake of it". Isn't riding an audax wearing a hairshirt for the sake of it? After all, you could drive round. Much easier.

The UMCA do not, as far as I know, concern themselves with whether a ride is self supported. This aspect is central to ultra races like the TCR. I've no idea what rules he's following - if any. Maybe he's following the TCR rule book which forbids outside help and support. Maybe he's just made his own rules up. Maybe he is attempting to "wear a hairshirt for the sake of it"

Guinness aren't really worth mentioning, in this context. They just piggy-back off the UMCA rules. I don't know who you're referring to as "the UK long-distance people".
As far as I can tell, this is the Road Records Association. I hadn't consciously heard of them before this discussion started; they seem to do things along similar lines to UMCA (perhaps that should be the other way round) so for something like the LEJOG record, a support vehicle is essential, but you can take water from anyone you like.

Setting out to do LEJOGLE in the style of TCR in as fast a time as possible seems a perfectly sensible challenge to set oneself. Possibly a bit mild. Maybe it's Kristof's idea of a holiday.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dogtrousers. I think whoever commented must have removed it.

Kristof is in Northern Scotland and will turn at Jog this afternoon.

We had lunch with him last week and when asked he just said we was going to ride in the UK and see some things "Just ride".

I dont know what this hairshirt bit is about. I dont understand it. Kristof teaches school kids and is the most unassuming man you will meet. He does these things to test himself. If he sets a record it will be so someone else can have a go at it. He is happy to offer advice to anyone. "How do I get faster on a bike" Answer "Ride your bike more" . He is genuinely a really nice guy. I dont think he understands the superstar status he has in ultra cycling circles. Either that or it doesnt matter to him. Probably the latter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Kristof made Lejog in 67 hours 15 minutes and is now heading South.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1533734129716.jpg
    FB_IMG_1533734129716.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 55

toffee

Guru
Kristof finished his ride today. He didnt get the record. He has bad weather for a couple of days which slowed him. It was still a sub 6 day ride and he enjoyed it.

We were talking to some of the people waiting for him at lands end this afternoon. We passed him a few miles from LE as we were setting off for JOG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Stlll amazing stuff

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5351193, member: 9609"]you certainly don't appear to be with a comeback like that - since you had been following the story I not only thought you would have had the information at hand but that it would have enhanced the thread.

I can easily find the current record of 5d 18:03 - but can't find what Kristof's time was. sorry I asked.[/QUOTE]

A search of Kristof Allegaert Lejogle gives you the whole story. Its the top search.

I really dont mind helping people if the information is hard to find. But this could not be any more simpler than that.

Top Bottom