A bike at night with some lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
semi+circle+of+light+02.02.12.jpg

Nikon D5000 with Nikon 12-24 mm DX AF-S f/4 zoom at 12 mm​
Exposure: 6 sec // Aperture: f/5 // ISO: 800 // White Balance: Auto // Rear curtain flash​
Photoshop: Crop. Levels. Minimal clone stamp to remove lens flare. Sharpening.​

Attachments

• semi+circle+of+light+02.02.12.jpg
    semi+circle+of+light+02.02.12.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 36

snorri

Legendary Member
Well, it's different m.a.c.^_^

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Wow Darrell thats amazing. Its got to be in the best cycling photo challenge for 2012 !

No idea where the best cycling photo challenge is though !!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats this :
Crop & Levels. Minimal clone stamp to remove lens flare. Sharpening. ??​

Norm

Whats this :
Crop is to take the top / bottom off to remove "boring" or irrelevant bits or to give it that letter-box shape, levels is to adjust the lighting and contrast (the camera is inherently much less able to cope than the human eye is), clone stamp is to remove an area that the photographer doesn't like and replace it with another part of the image and sharpening is... sharpening. ^_^

Norm

No worries. :thumbsup:

However, leave the Spanish waiter alone :giggle: as those are all, as MAC said, Photoshop (other image editing programs are available) bits when playing with the image on a computer :addict: rather than stuff that you can do with the camera.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Lol :smile: Mmm. I use Piccassa / Piccaso ?

I'll have a play with it. Truth is I get bored really easy with techi stuff

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
A new take on an old photographers favourite. Is that the Tokina 12-24 f/4 you're using?
No its a Nikon lens. I've updated the photo info now. Cheers.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Wow Darrell thats amazing. Its got to be in the best cycling photo challenge for 2012 !

No idea where the best cycling photo challenge is though !!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats this :
Crop is to take the top / bottom off to remove "boring" or irrelevant bits or to give it that letter-box shape, levels is to adjust the lighting and contrast (the camera is inherently much less able to cope than the human eye is), clone stamp is to remove an area that the photographer doesn't like and replace it with another part of the image and sharpening is... sharpening. ^_^

Thanks for the explanation Norm.

Norm

Sorry, looking at the techie bit, I forgot to say...

Wow Darrell thats amazing.
It is, isn't it. I particularly like the rear curtain flash to put the rider in the image, it nicely identifies it as a cyclist in a way that you might miss without that, as the helmet light would fool many.

I also love the way you can see the pulsing of the front lights as they move across the image.

The only thing I can think that I'd re-visit would be the reflectives on the rider, which catch the eye a bit. I can't figure out if that's a bad thing, though, as I'm not sure whether the cyclist would be too indistinct without them.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Sorry, looking at the techie bit, I forgot to say...

It is, isn't it. I particularly like the rear curtain flash to put the rider in the image, it nicely identifies it as a cyclist in a way that you might miss without that, as the helmet light would fool many.

I also love the way you can see the pulsing of the front lights as they move across the image.

The only thing I can think that I'd re-visit would be the reflectives on the rider, which catch the eye a bit. I can't figure out if that's a bad thing, though, as I'm not sure whether the cyclist would be too indistinct without them.

Aww thanks Norm.

I intended to show up the rider (me) with reflectives. My plan was to show how bright and eye catching I am at night. I don't think this picture does that particularly well although it certainly works asthetically for me.

I has some fun and frolics getting this far as I have posted about in Rider Tales - Playing with the kids. To get the picture above I was down in this bit of parkland at about 20.00hrs, where on the first two attempts I was out around 17.30hrs.

On this succesful go there was still a dog walker around who must have wondered what on Earth was going on with lights circling around and a big flash every 10 seconds or so!

The video works better IMO to show how eye catching my lights are at least because it shows the flashing function, which I didn't use for the still image.

Cheers.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I love long exposure shots, I might have to go out early Sunday morning with my camera and MTB to get some prettiness photos

Doseone

Guru
I really like it, although personally I would prefer it without the reflectives on the rider. Without the reflectives the rider would take on an almost ghostly appearance. The light trails are really good.

I'm going to hunt the music from your video down, it's great.

Top Bottom