a-bike availability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I know the a-bikes are a bit of a toy, but I still fancy getting one. I am not committing myself to buying one. I am just interested. From their website, they appear to have been sold out since the new year. Anyone know what's going on?

seadragonpisces

Über Member
I know the a-bikes are a bit of a toy, but I still fancy getting one. I am not committing myself to buying one. I am just interested. From their website, they appear to have been sold out since the new year. Anyone know what's going on?

If you are set on getting one then check on ebay, no point paying full retail price. Of the 1000's that come up under this random search, there are 2 a bikes that show up in the first 60 or so listings. If you like look but want similar but less of a toy then try the Strida, check out the Velorution website.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
With such small wheels you are asking to go ar$e over t1t, no offence.
For that distance you might as well get a 2nd hand Brompton off ebay. They have high resale prices but if you want something that also folds small then that to me seems the best option.
If you don’t need it to fold small or as good as a Brompton then any other folder with 16’’ wheels would suit or similar size,eg Dahon Jifo (or whatever it’s called) or check out Fudge’s cycles, they list Pacific bikes amongst their suppliers and I think there is one called the carry-me, but also small tyres (cant remember spec exactly).

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Is there any difference between an a-bike and an a-bicycle?

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Is there any difference between an a-bike and an a-bicycle?

I was wondering the same thing, maybe they are known by 2 different names, they look one and the same to me but what do I know :-)

I think it sounds like you dont have much choice, either take a risk or walk, or use one of those push scooter things, some of them can look pretty funky, depends how self-concious you are

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Excellent, I won one off ebay for £87 including postage. I can't lose at that price. It only has to last a month and it had paid for itself. The monthly season ticket from Reading to Oxford is about £70 for the bus but £230 on the train.

I do like the look of some of them electric scooters though. They are a little expensive. How bulky are they?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I finally rode the a-bicycle around the block. Sadly, I don't think it's the solution to my problem. I can only cycle it about twice walking speed, so it would still take me about 25 minutes to cycle the 2.5 miles. I would not want to cycle it along the road or any rough surface. It is very unstable. My forearms would grow huge trying to control it. The saddle wobbled about. After cycling it around the block, I notice the plastic shim in the seat tube had split and fallen out.

Shame, if it was a bit faster, a bit more stable, more robust, it could be option. I think I will donate it to Reading Bicycle Kitchen. They can have fun playing with it.

Top Bottom