A bike for blind cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Normally blind people can count their steps or use obstacles to know where they are going. This device would stop the cyclist riding into things but how would the person know where they are going? How would they sense the speed because the pedal rotations are much different to walking. And there are no obstacles to use for guidance.
It seems very dangerous for the person to me.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Normally blind people can count their steps or use obstacles to know where they are going. This device would stop the cyclist riding into things but how would the person know where they are going? How would they sense the speed because the pedal rotations are much different to walking. And there are no obstacles to use for guidance.
It seems very dangerous for the person to me.

It is used to give blind people a chance to experience the freedom and sense of independence that comes from riding a bike in a controlled environment. You won't be seeing them on your daily commute, don't worry.

GC

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

What Matthew wanted to say in one word is:-

Bollox !

It isn't.

riders.jpg

GC

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Actually, ignoring everything else, the basic principle of cycling blind is an interesting one.
When learning to ride (which I suspect these people have never done before) is the use of sight really that important? I have tried to teach my did to ride but he just pushes himself along with his feet and looks at where his feet are on the pedals. He doesnt look forward.
Does not having the use of sight mean that you must FEEL what is happening to you and work out where your balance is? It would be interesting to know. Maybe if I blindfolded my dad, he would learn how to ride.

snorri

Legendary Member
Now that's a refreshing opening of the mind Matthew_T :smile::bravo:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Does not having the use of sight mean that you must FEEL what is happening to you and work out where your balance is?

Yes.

I had a very interesting night riding experience several years ago with some friends in the Highlands.
We'd set out for a winter's day ride on the mountain bikes but misjudged the time required and found ourselves still many miles from home in complete darkness with no lights. It had been snowing heavily and there was ice everywhere.
As we rode back in single file we could only just make out the edge of the trail as we gingerly rode through the woods. It was almost like riding blindfold.

Initially I felt very tense, waiting to hit something or just slip on the ice/snow but as time went by I found myself relaxing, feeling much more in tune with the bike. We all went through this stage. The next stage was increased confidence, accompanied by increased speed.

I was surprised that I was able to react to slips and roots more quickly and more smoothly than in daylight. We each remarked on this this as we sped silently through the forest, feeling like three low-flying birds, a terrific feeling.

Soon we reached a small clearing that allowed the moonlight to show us a section of the trail we were on - sheet ice.
We all had the same reaction: we tensed up and fell off!

GC

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Don't forget that 'blind' is a catch-all phrase and AIUI, doesn't always (or even doesn't often) mean 'cannot see anything at all'. So a 'blind' person may be able to see fuzzy large shapes, distinguish between light and dark etc, all of which could be very helpful for cycling. And something to detect smaller obstacles that they might not be able to see could be very useful.

Top Bottom