A bit illegal on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-bike-48volt-30mph-/151522266184?
Modded electric bike capable of 30 mph , a bit naughty to be selling it as a commuter ?

Why is it illegal? <genuine question and not being a smartárse, as I don't know)

Apparently e-bike shops do this. They tell the owners the law, and give them instructions on how to register them. Apparently quite a few have been sold this way, but none have ever been registered in the UK**

So selling them is fine, it's just riding them on the roads that's the problem.

**I read this on an ebike forum, with two shop owners sniping at each other.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Doesn't it say in the description that there is a button limiting it to 15mph If you want it to?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yes it says setting1 15 mph legal speed setting 2 off road speed, is this how they are originally sold ? or has it been modded ?

Perhaps that is how they get round selling it as a bycicle then.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Quite common now to have a legal set up, 250watts and 15 Mph and an offroad 500/1000 watts =+ no speed limit dual controller'
Its a bit like saying a Bugatti Veyron should be limited to 70Mph as that's the speed limit, no difference really in that if you choose to break the law its up to you.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It also says that "30mph NO PEDALLING required". I thought they had to require some pedalling.

I do have a problem with one of these bikes on my commute, that is ridden as a moped effectively on the cycle path. Pedestrians and other cyclists aren't expecting to be overtaken at those kind of speeds on a cycle path. The guy who I see quite regularly is going to come a cropper or cause someone else to have an accident soon. If you can do those sort of speeds then mix with the cars on the road.

It's totally illegal to ride on the roads in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

EAPC requirements
The requirements are:

• the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it
  • the electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15mph
  • the bike (including its battery but not the rider) must not be heavier than 40 kilograms (kg) if it’s a bicycle, or 60kg if it’s a tandem or tricycle
  • the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 200 watts if it’s a bicycle and 250 watts if it’s a tandem or tricycle
  • the bike must have a plate showing the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery, and the motor’s power output
What's the betting it only meets the first requirement?

The seller tries to address this in the text quite clearly... or rather as clear as yoo can be IN CAPITALS AND WITH NO SENTENCE OR PARAGRAPH STRUCTURE

THE BIKE HAS A BUTTON ON THE THROTTLE ON SETTING 1 15MPH LEGAL SPEED AND ON SETTING 2 OFF ROAD SPEED 30MPH+

In theory one could argue that this fits the bill, however it does still fail legally as the 1000 watt motor itself is illegal, as is the fact that it can be switched to a higher speed

In theory one could argue that this fits the bill, however it does still fail legally as the 1000 watt motor itself is illegal, as is the fact that it can be switched to a higher speed

electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel

It's quite clear that this motor "is able to propel", so this is legal finessing by someone with no understanding of the law.

I hope their understanding of engineering and frame strength is better.

Top Bottom