A bit illegal on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
It also says that "30mph NO PEDALLING required". I thought they had to require some pedalling.

I do have a problem with one of these bikes on my commute, that is ridden as a moped effectively on the cycle path. Pedestrians and other cyclists aren't expecting to be overtaken at those kind of speeds on a cycle path. The guy who I see quite regularly is going to come a cropper or cause someone else to have an accident soon. If you can do those sort of speeds then mix with the cars on the road.

I know that bloke and the bike. He is a liability waiting to seriously hurt or possibly kill someone. I have shouted at him a number of times and once caught up with him and he just gave me a blank look and was gone.

byegad

Legendary Member
Apparently e-bike shops do this. They tell the owners the law, and give them instructions on how to register them. Apparently quite a few have been sold this way, but none have ever been registered in the UK**

So selling them is fine, it's just riding them on the roads that's the problem.

**I read this on an ebike forum, with two shop owners sniping at each other.
If it's capable of ever 15mph under electric power it has to meet the Construction and Use regulations for a moped. I very much doubt you could get one registered. On the road if you are stopped you can face, riding without a licence, insurance, and registration. Not a happy result.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If it's capable of ever 15mph under electric power it has to meet the Construction and Use regulations for a moped. I very much doubt you could get one registered. On the road if you are stopped you can face, riding without a licence, insurance, and registration. Not a happy result.
What about on a cycle path? Just wondering which regs they would be breaking!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The totally legal kit I've fitted to my Trike has the ability to be run using a thumb throttle or a pedal/crank sensor, the wiring is all there on the 'umbilical' cabling that runs to the handlebars as is the connections for either one or two brake lever power cut offs (I only use one as I need the 'handbrake' button on the standard brake levers) Even with the 'assist' sensors and bar mounted control module it will pull away on just the thumb throttle but the throttle has to be held on to keep the motor turning the way I've got it set up. I can fit the automatic assist option at any time but it saved me either £50 for the basic or £100 for the advanced handlebar unit and it also enables me to keep pedalling without the motor 'kicking in' if I'm just going slowly on a level path in a park or in the city centre (the kit was fitted because I don't have the strength yet in the broken leg to be able to get up the hill/ridge that our house is on top of with the gearing the Trike currently has so my physiotherapy was limited to riding along the ridge and 'town' is in the valley.)

TVC

Apparently e-bike shops do this. They tell the owners the law, and give them instructions on how to register them. Apparently quite a few have been sold this way, but none have ever been registered in the UK**

So selling them is fine, it's just riding them on the roads that's the problem.

**I read this on an ebike forum, with two shop owners sniping at each other.
A bit like the mini-moto thing, they are sold as not road legal whilst knowing very well they are going to be ridden around the local sink estate.

The pedalling is matter of choice
There are a number of options

1. True assist - where there is no throttle and the motor works on feedback from a sensor. You then dial in how much assist you want, on the Bionx that is 25,50,100 and 200% of the input
2. Throttle assist - Where the pedals have to be rotating and providing feedback for the motor to operate, however the input is controlled by a throttle. The ubiquitous BAfang motors that form a large majority of motors have this option. There is also a minimum speed at which the motor will cut out
3. The final is where there is a minimum speed for the engine to function, but you can operate by throttle only and without pedals atthe momentthese are legal inthe UK, but not in some European countries. The European requirement is a 4mph maximum in the non-pedalling mode

It should also be noted that where there is a throttle, the legal requirement is that the brakes automatically cut the motor when applied

Finally there is a move to bring in a European regulation (EN15194) but that has been in the wings since 2009

If this happened then there would be two changes:

1. The throttle only option would become illegal
2. 250 watt motors could be used on bikes as well as trikes/ tandems, however the maximum speed would remain the same.

Top Bottom