A bit of a computery question re: Choosing Desktops...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

And there's me thinking that memory is useful in a computer.

Macs aren't cost effective. Once they had advantages, but now that technology has reached the point where a basic computer can do most things that most people need, I see no point paying the extra and limiting your options.

Adding RAM is useful, almost always.

Macs are cost effective. They have proven to be in the companies I have worked in, and here at home.

You may not like Mac's, but until you can prove they are not cost effective, you should not be making such statements.

as for limiting yourself to a machine that will run both OSX and Windows, rather than Windows and Linux, I don't see your point.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Before you gang up on User, Davidwalton shouldn't be going round making absurd comments about bottlenecks in hardware. It's how the industry works and your comments look like those of a mac fanboi :biggrin:.

davidwalton

SamNichols said:
You say potato, we say potato. Throughout the midsts of time, there are two inane arguments: PCs versus Macs and Jaffa Cake: Biscuit or Cake? Neither will ever be resolved, and one always feels a bit grotty after having participated in one. If you want a mac, then buy a mac. if you don't then buy a pc. If you don't want either then buy a nintendo wii.

I agree 100%. Horses for courses. Never thought this was an argument about which was the absolute best here, until I was silly enough to respond to a question about why someone should buy a Mac over a PC.

bonj2

macs are a bag o' shite, generally. Only really useful for arty farty media types as they apparently have some good graphics programs.

davidwalton said:
They know where the on/off switch is. Some don't know how to use it though:biggrin:

One company I worked in had equal numbers of PC's and MAC's. 99% of all support calls were PC related. It was great to get a MAC support call for a change.

It was probably because nobody ever bothered using the macs.

davidwalton

marinyork said:
Before you gang up on User, Davidwalton shouldn't be going round making absurd comments about bottlenecks in hardware. It's how the industry works and your comments look like those of a mac fanboi :biggrin:.

and there was me thinking I was just responding to what others wrote:ohmy:

I prefer MAC, but also run a PC. Just that the MAC lasts, and because I bought a good one, is still faster than most PC's.

Not bashing anyone for wanting a PC instead. bottlenecks are a fact, and should be sorted. upgrading PC components other than that is almost always a waste of money, as I proved to the company I ran checks with at that time.

If that makes me a MAC fanboi, then so be it. Not intending to do anymore than give info about my experiences with both PC's and Mac's.

davidwalton

bonj said:
macs are a bag o' shite, generally. Only really useful for arty farty media types as they apparently have some good graphics programs.

It was probably because nobody ever bothered using the macs.

or perhaps you just couldn't find the on/off switch:evil:

Long gone are the days when a Mac is just for graphics/sound/media applications.

SamNichols said:
You say potato, we say potato. Throughout the midsts of time, there are two inane arguments: PCs versus Macs and Jaffa Cake: Biscuit or Cake? Neither will ever be resolved, and one always feels a bit grotty after having participated in one. If you want a mac, then buy a mac. if you don't then buy a pc. If you don't want either then buy a nintendo wii.

you forgot Campg Vs Shimano

marinyork

I suspect the arguments will get a lot worse too if 8 core machines come out with Nehalem onwards. Insane power and a lot of time to catchup to actually utilise the thing.

marinyork

For the £300 you can get some of the fastest graphics cards in the world to put in your PC.

bonj2

davidwalton said:
or perhaps you just couldn't find the on/off switch:evil:

Long gone are the days when a Mac is just for graphics/sound/media applications.

but macs are just one of these things that never caught on really, aren't they?

ajevans

bonj said:
but macs are just one of these things that never caught on really, aren't they?

No.

They just aren't as popular due to a particular illegally gained monopoly.

It's like saying that SLR's (cameras) never caught on because most people use a compact.

bonj2

ajevans said:
No.

They just aren't as popular due to a particular illegally gained monopoly.

It's like saying that SLR's (cameras) never caught on because most people use a compact.

"illegally gained" :biggrin: :biggrin: oh do get over yourself.

ajevans

bonj said:
"illegally gained" :biggrin: :biggrin: oh do get over yourself.

Well to be fair it was a mixture of sharp business practices, and other practices (such as charging for every PC regardless of whether they had Windows on it) that they were forced to stop in the early 90's as they were deemed illegal. By which point the damage had been done and they had a monopoly.

Top Bottom