A bit of a crisis after first metric century!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
what's the five second rule?

If you haven't thrown up/collapsed after 5 seconds you're probably fine?

In truth my blue decathlon bottles are well over 10 years old and have maybe been properly cleaned 3 times.

Maybe time for another?

Have recently invested in some nice stainless steel ones to facilitate cleaning - primarily for touring.

Clear bottles are the thing I think - sod the flash branding.
The time you have to pick up a piece of dropped food from the floor and it still be ok to eat

OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Jesus Christ I’ve seen some over reactions in my time but this thread is starting to take the biscuit*.

So you had some unexpected painful cramping after riding much longer than you ever have?

Welcome to the world of overexercise.

- Stop freaking out.
- Put down the third world drought treatments.
- Empty out the two bottles you won’t drink next time either.

1. Build up to your next big ride over several weeks.
2. End plan.

Where to start . . .

I had entirely expected cramping after riding about 8km longer than I ever have, but I also had a short loss of awareness and significant hypotension.
Nobody’s freaking out with the possible exception of you yourself.
I posted because I thought it might be interesting to other cyclists, this being a cycling forum, and it seems I was right because there’s subsequently been a good discussion which has wandered along some entertaining sidetracks.
Oral rehydration therapy will work just as well here as anywhere else.

Thank you for your advice - the one about not taking the other two bottles is amusing enough to fit in with the rest of the thread - but if you don’t like a thread there’s really no need to comment, is there?

PK99

Legendary Member
you had cramp after hot long ride. common situation. just be careful when bending or straightening legs

That's unfair. Symptoms described were in the Sartorious muscle. Cramp here is painful like no other and as the muscle spans across two joints - hip and knee - is very difficult to stretch out for relief in the same way as hamstring or calf.

Alan O

Über Member
That's unfair. Symptoms described were in the Sartorious muscle. Cramp here is painful like no other and as the muscle spans across two joints - hip and knee - is very difficult to stretch out for relief in the same way as hamstring or calf.
Very much, yes, there's cramp and there's *CRAMP*. I've had it plenty of times where a bit of stretching does the trick - painful, yes, but reasonably quick to recover. But last year I had a cramp attack (curiously, about an hour after finishing a ride) that started in both hamstrings and spread upwards. It locked my muscles in spasms such that I literally had no control over them, and the pain was excruciating. It then went through several cycles of the pain and spasms fading, but cramping up again at any attempt to move. Then suddenly it was gone, as quickly as it started.

Tin Pot

Guru
Where to start . . .

I had entirely expected cramping after riding about 8km longer than I ever have, but I also had a short loss of awareness and significant hypotension.
Nobody’s freaking out with the possible exception of you yourself.
I posted because I thought it might be interesting to other cyclists, this being a cycling forum, and it seems I was right because there’s subsequently been a good discussion which has wandered along some entertaining sidetracks.
Oral rehydration therapy will work just as well here as anywhere else.

Thank you for your advice - the one about not taking the other two bottles is amusing enough to fit in with the rest of the thread - but if you don’t like a thread there’s really no need to comment, is there?

I’m sorry but this thread is full of bad advice, it is only right that you should be informed of that. If you choose to take said bad advice, that’s your call, but do it for the right reasons - not because you don’t like my attitude.

The notion that a 100km ride could cause such severe dehydration, such severe electrolyte deficiency that you are put into unfathomable convulsions of pain is laughable. It would be remiss not to be derisory in response.

Either you have some other condition for which mild exercise has revealed these symptoms, or you rode harder than you can handle.

Drink more water, regardless of thirst?

Nonsense.

Oral rehydrant?

:laugh:

You rode too hard, end of story.

I do it too occasionally and pay a similar price.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The notion that a 100km ride could cause such severe dehydration, such severe electrolyte deficiency that you are put into unfathomable convulsions of pain is laughable. It would be remiss not to be derisory in response.
I did a 100 km ride on a hot day once. I drank 2.5 litres from the bottles on my bike, plus 2 x 0.5L of Coca Cola off the bike. I ate a sandwich, a piece of cake and a couple of bars of chocolate ...

I got home dehydrated (3 kg net weight loss, and I'm sure that most of that was fluid loss in sweat), and my face covered in so much salt that I literally scraped it off with a knife. Oh, and I suffered painful cramps too! :whistle:

Tin Pot

Guru
I did a 100 km ride on a hot day once. I drank 2.5 litres from the bottles on my bike, plus 2 x 0.5L of Coca Cola off the bike. I ate a sandwich, a piece of cake and a couple of bars of chocolate ...

I got home dehydrated (3 kg net weight loss, and I'm sure that most of that was fluid loss in sweat), and my face covered in so much salt that I literally scraped it off with a knife. Oh, and I suffered painful cramps too! :whistle:

Thanks for supporting my position, though I doubt you meant to :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
I’m sorry but this thread is full of bad advice, it is only right that you should be informed of that. If you choose to take said bad advice, that’s your call, but do it for the right reasons - not because you don’t like my attitude.

Either you have some other condition for which mild exercise has revealed these symptoms, or you rode harder than you can handle.

Drink more water, regardless of thirst?

Nonsense.

Oral rehydrant?

:laugh:

You rode too hard, end of story.

I do it too occasionally and pay a similar price.

Is that Tinpot advice? :laugh:

Top Bottom