A bit of a crisis after first metric century!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Drink plenty (this morning I drank 2x 800ml bottles of water with hydro tabs on a 50km ride), then had a protein shake when I got in.

Stretch after a ride too if you find yourself prone to cramp, but I've found using the hydro tabs has all but eliminated cramping.

SIS Go Hydro are my tab of choice, but High5 are good too - others will have differing opinions though.

IainC

5 yr lurker
If you had hypocalcemia you would have been Chvostek sign positive..... Blimey I've been waiting 40 years to write that, thank you Mr Ganong :smile:

Yikes, been a long time for me since I've read that one. Although the hyperventilation could cause alkalosis which gives a similar hyperexcitability. I've just had to google 'Trousers sign' which is the related phenomenon I was sure I could remember. Turns out I could only remember the not very witty student's twisting of the actual sign :-)

midlife

Guru
Yikes, been a long time for me since I've read that one. Although the hyperventilation could cause alkalosis which gives a similar hyperexcitability. I've just had to google 'Trousers sign' which is the related phenomenon I was sure I could remember. Turns out I could only remember the not very witty student's twisting of the actual sign :-)

I think you have autocorrect turned on lol :smile:

midlife

Guru
I wish... I actually remember Trousseau sign as 'Trouser's sign'. Now if only I could remember the correct word to describe using a similar sounding word to jog one's memory of the correct word. Age is a terrible thing :wacko:

My head is full of mnemonics.....Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Fondle.........

I remember the mnemonics but not what they stand for lol

IainC

5 yr lurker
My head is full of mnemonics.....Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Fondle.........

I remember the mnemonics but not what they stand for lol
Mnemonic!! That's it. Thank you ^_^. And the rest of the cranial nerve one is would likely be turned in to a family friendly but entirely unrepresentative one by the swear filter if you went any further. Although at least there are no daffodils in there. I'll stop now, honest :rolleyes:

MikeG

Guru
I just ordered a load of Dioralyte from eBay. :laugh:

A handy alternative is to let a can of Coke or Fanta go flat, then drink that. That's an old travellers stand-by (for diarrhea in hot countries, where water is dodgy so Dioralite can make matters worse rather than better), but it works just as well for rehydration for sportsmen. Loads of sugar and some salt in both. Add salt if you need it.

OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Hi PK99. When cycling I nearly always get cramp in my feet. Afterwards, usually in bed, it’s my feet again and, I think, vastus medialis of the quadriceps group. Inside of my thigh, along the line where my legs touch when closed.

Both legs were affected last night, but particularly the right. I’m right handed/sided.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi PK99. When cycling I nearly always get cramp in my feet. Afterwards, usually in bed, it’s my feet again and, I think, vastus medialis of the quadriceps group. Inside of my thigh, along the line where my legs touch when closed.

Both legs were affected last night, but particularly the right. I’m right handed/sided.

Sartorius muscle, longest in the human body
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sartorius_muscle

It's the one that hits me every time I'm working my way back on the bike after a layoff.

Pattern for me is exactly as you describe it:

About 40 minutes later I went to stand up to say goodnight to our daughter and was floored by the worst cramp of my life, so bad that I shouted for help

The motion of moving from sitting to standing triggers it into spasm. Pain like no other cramp pain.

I used to find it impossible to deal with/stretch out - I eventually found that sitting on the floor, legs out in front and leaning the torso (shoulders toward and over knees) resolves the spasm and pain very effectively

OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Thank you for that piece of advice. I shall try that if there’s a next time. And it was like no other cramp pain I’ve had - more severe and disabling than any I remember. I’ve experienced gastritis, biliary colic, dental abscess and various post-op pains, and this was right up there, with the bonus feature of near-instantaneous peak severity.

Ouch.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't have a lot of problems with cramp when I'm on the bike, but I do sometimes have problems when I'm doing yoga, cramp in the toes is particularly unpleasant, anyway thanks people, you've reminded me I need my big water bottle this morning.

Top Bottom