1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit of history From ACP

Discussion in 'Audax, Brevet and Randonnee' started by Ian H, 17 Jul 2017.

1. Ian H

Ian H Guru

On the 12th of June, 1897, a group of Italian cyclists travelled the route between Rome and Naples, a distance of 230 kilometers, in a single day. Given the difficult cycling conditions of that time, this effort was considered to be "audacious"... [more - ACP website]

2. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

I can't imagine riding that distance on the bikes that were around then. I imagine the road 'buzz' must have been awful.

3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

What do you imagine would have caused the said road buzz?

4. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

The general discomfort that bikes then exerted on the rider!

5. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

Fixed gears, unsurfaced roads...

6. Interesting reading. And who crops up but Henri Desgrange. A finger in every pie. And stirring it all up with his political machinations. Seems we have him to thank for audaxes being "allure libre" where each rider goes at their own pace, rather than set pace group rides.

7. GrumpyGregry

I thought that. Though a captained ride at a set pace would be an interesting experience I think.

8. Ian H

Ian H Guru

There are some initial discussions going on about the possibility of AUK running UAF events.

9. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

What makes you think bikes of that era were generally uncomfortable and created a "buzz".

They use exactly the same saddles so highly prized by the leather brigade nowadays. They had tubular tyres, box section wheels and supposedly flexible frames. Where's the buzz? I think you'll find today's bikes are more uncomfortable, bar such discomforts as cloth bar tape, pedal clips and saggy knitted clothing.

10. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick, but wouldn't it end up being just like a long club run?

I "co-captained" the slow group on a London to Brighton and back club ride a couple of years ago. I rode on the back on the way out (and not through choice when we went up the Beacon), and on the return leg I rode on the front at a relatively constant effort level, checking periodically that everyone was OK, with half an eye on the speed and the time. We got back at our allotted time.

11. @Yellow Saddle I'd guess that pre-war French roads would give quite an uncomfortable ride as they may not have been surfaced, or may have been cobbled - but I have zero knowledge of the history of the French road network. I'd similarly guess that the bikes would be heavier, with restricted gearing making it harder work, but not necessarily more uncomfortable. They'd have bigger tyres than these days and for all I know sprung saddles may have been in vogue.

12. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Dogtrousers likes this.
  13. Oops. Right you are, but the rest of the article has a French flavour.

All the same, my knowledge of Italian road history is about equal to my knowledge of French road history. I'd guess that the initial ride was done on roads not dissimilar to the "strade bianche" gravel roads. I still think the roads would have been the defining factors in discomfort rather than the bikes, apart from the weight and the gearing (or lack of it).

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  14. GrumpyGregry

Depends on the club. Second half of our club rides the pace always seems to go up and a shout of "make your own way home" goes up. Which is why I rarely ride with 'em.

15. Ian H

Ian H Guru

There is a UAF Paris-Brest-Paris, which runs every 5 years. So occasionally it is possible to ride two PBPs in one year.