A Boy a Girl and a Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Watched it a few times, it really gives the flavour of what cycling was like in the 40's & 50's. Before my time, but not by that much.

The film is in a Diana Dors box set which I bought, just for this film.

Cheers Keith

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I bought a copy of 'A boy, a girl and a bike' off eBay. It's a classic British post war cycling themed film. Released in 1949 Starring Diana Dors, Anthony Newley, Honor Blackman, Thora Hird, Megs Jenkins and a host of other familiar actors. Mildly amusing film, but more interesting in seeing how much the country has changed in the 60 odd years since the film was made. Lack of cars, road markings, road signs, electric pylons and general 'clutter' were all very self evident. Sad to think what we have lost due to 'progress'.
What was very interesting, and somewhat surprising, was a scene during the bike race, at about one hour twenty minutes into the film, when I suddenly thought 'that rider looks familiar!'. Quick rewind, find scene and pause. Said to missus 'Who's that in the dark jersey?'.
'Bloody hell!' she replied 'It's Jimmy Savile!'.
It was - albeit a very young one. Apparently he belonged to a local cycling club which had been asked to supply extras for the cycling scenes.
Well, I never!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never seen it but has always sounded interesting.

Just word to say it will apparently be on that most excellent of Channels, Talking Pictures TV, on Feb 10.

Definitely of another age.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041203/reviews

West Yorkshire locations including Hebden Bridge Bolton Abbey etc which might interest some of our northern members.
Thanks for that. I meant to watch it in the past but never got round to it. Having spent over 30 years living and cycling in this area, it will be interesting to see how it has changed.

I've set a reminder on my phone to set my Freesat box once I get within 'recording range' (one week).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was quite sweet. I spotted a few scenes from the Calder Valley and quite a lot of familiar locations in the Dales.

It seemed so old, but then I realised that the film was made only 7 years before I was born ... aaargh - I'm ancient! :eek: :laugh:

If you want to win an important bike race, don't start cycling until a few weeks before it. That way, your legs will still feel fresh at the event.

Oh, and smoking lots of cigarettes will definitely help keep the lungs in top shape!

:whistle:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I know nothing about this film but from everyone's talk of it I imagine it to be something like Howard and Marina from Last of the Summer Wine when their liaisons involved cycling together.

Please say it's true.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It was quite sweet. I spotted a few scenes from the Calder Valley and quite a lot of familiar locations in the Dales.

It seemed so old, but then I realised that the film was made only 7 years before I was born ... aaargh - I'm ancient! :eek: :laugh:

If you want to win an important bike race, don't start cycling until a few weeks before it. That way, your legs will still feel fresh at the event.

Oh, and smoking lots of cigarettes will definitely help keep the lungs in top shape!

:whistle:
Only 3 years before I was born :blush:
And that “foreign” idea of running cables internally - it’ll never catch on :blink:

Top Bottom