A breakthrough! SWMBO is close to giving in.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DannyCFC

Apologies in advance for being self-indulgent, but after the brains of the outfit and I bought a couple of Apollo's finest bits of craftsmanship in March my attempts to suggest upgrades have generally been met with stern looks.

I foolishly mentioned switching from rubbish knobblies to something a bit slicker and was told that wouldn't happen. She also cottoned on to my plan to get a road bike in January from a fella at work and knocked that on the head due to the cost.

Until I mentioned I'd read on here that you know you're a cyclists when you're planning your next ride before you finished the ride you're on.

The other night, she looked up from plotting a ride for this weekend and said "we'll have to change our tyres for the winter as we won't be on the towpaths as much."

I reckon we're getting road bikes in the New Year.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Blimey. If my OH gave me a stern look every time I suggested an upgrade, he'd be single by now. Seriously, I'd have divorced him.

Let us hope that she gives in to your need for a new bike. Riding an Apollo is just cruel and unusual punishment!

OP
OP
D

DannyCFC

My mum's coming up soon. might have to push her down the stairs. We have a £5 change pot. We might up that.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It amazes me that some have to ask permission from their other halves to buy stuff, its like being a kid again and your mum telling you no to something you want!!

Man/woman up, you're an adult now and can make those decisions!!
I was going to say something along those lines myself.

I work hard for my money and if I want to go and get a cool toy, I will go and get one, although I do make sure that it's not going to compromise a DD going out.
OH just went out and bought a bass guitar today as he prefers a bass to his Les Paul (go figure) and I didn't feel the need to yell at him, tell him off or anything. It's his money and he can do what he likes with it. Likewise, he didn't have a fit when I went and bought a Garmin and he won't have a fit when I go and get new bibshorts next week.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was going to say something along those lines myself.

I work hard for my money and if I want to go and get a cool toy, I will go and get one, although I do make sure that it's not going to compromise a DD going out.
OH just went out and bought a bass guitar today as he prefers a bass to his Les Paul (go figure) and I didn't feel the need to yell at him, tell him off or anything. It's his money and he can do what he likes with it. Likewise, he didn't have a fit when I went and bought a Garmin and he won't have a fit when I go and get new bibshorts next week.
He prefers Bass to a Les Paul :eek: I played a mates "Goldtop" a while back and it was nearly better than my Telecaster, mind mine was set up after I'd had it for a couple of years by Bob Dayfield (one of the top Luthiers in Britain) I would have had it done sooner but he said that would be a waste as it'd only need doing again.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
you get her a new telly or laptop or cooker or something she wants and you get a new bike :biggrin:
Cheers Ed
:rolleyes:

ScotiaLass

Guru
He prefers Bass to a Les Paul :eek: I played a mates "Goldtop" a while back and it was nearly better than my Telecaster, mind mine was set up after I'd had it for a couple of years by Bob Dayfield (one of the top Luthiers in Britain) I would have had it done sooner but he said that would be a waste as it'd only need doing again.
I love my gold top!! Superb instrument, makes even me sound good :laugh:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
It amazes me that some have to ask permission from their other halves to buy stuff, its like being a kid again and your mum telling you no to something you want!!

Man/woman up, you're an adult now and can make those decisions!!
I never understand when people write stuff like this. (sorry big nick)

I don't know, maybe I'm lucky, my wife generally supports my expensive hobbies. We have a pretty good understanding she buys stuff, I buy stuff. But I would never buy something and 'sneak it in' under the radar as I hear people doing. I always discuss biggish purchases with her. I'm an mature adult and what I do impacts on my relationship with my wife - it's called marriage. I respect her decision as much as she respects mine.
I have 'manned up' I got married and decided to share my life. Maybe the OP feels the same?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I never understand when people write stuff like this. (sorry big nick)

I don't know, maybe I'm lucky, my wife generally supports my expensive hobbies. We have a pretty good understanding she buys stuff, I buy stuff. But I would never buy something and 'sneak it in' under the radar as I hear people doing. I always discuss biggish purchases with her. I'm an mature adult and what I do impacts on my relationship with my wife - it's called marriage. I respect her decision as much as she respects mine.
I have 'manned up' I got married and decided to share my life. Maybe the OP feels the same?

A more elegant way of saying what I was struggling to say.

(I had "Well, YOUR FACE should man up" and little else).

Top Bottom