A breakthrough! SWMBO is close to giving in.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Apologies in advance for being self-indulgent, but after the brains of the outfit and I bought a couple of Apollo's finest bits of craftsmanship in March my attempts to suggest upgrades have generally been met with stern looks.

I foolishly mentioned switching from rubbish knobblies to something a bit slicker and was told that wouldn't happen. She also cottoned on to my plan to get a road bike in January from a fella at work and knocked that on the head due to the cost.

I bow before your mightiness and crave a boon.

How did you do it?

I've tried whining, pleading, logic*, subtle hints and assuming permission. All to no avail.

*This was singularly unsuccessful! Causing 'The great dry spell' of 1998!

Until I mentioned I'd read on here that you know you're a cyclists when you're planning your next ride before you finished the ride you're on.

The other night, she looked up from plotting a ride for this weekend and said "we'll have to change our tyres for the winter as we won't be on the towpaths as much."

I reckon we're getting road bikes in the New Year.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good job you said nearly.........
Apart from use as an anchor there is nothing that an LP has over a Tele. Yes, I've got a very nice LP thank you, but there's no way it's better than a tele!
Mind you, a goldtop with P90's...........:wub:
My mate Carl had 2 one of which had been stripped down to the Mahogany the other standard finish but he had fitted both with "hot" DiMarzio humbuckers, still had the P90s but was unable to convert back cos the bodies had to be chiselled out to accept the bigger humbuckers so they sat in his cupboard.
I just prefer a Maple neck, and then there's the growl that Teles have.
If you wonder why this is in the past tense its cos Carl sadly passed away a few years back.

Bryony

Veteran
David doesn't need to ask my permission to buy anything expensive, same as I don't have to ask his! As long as our bills are paid what we do with our money is up to us we've worked hard for it so why not spend it on something we enjoy??

OP
OP
D

DannyCFC

Clearly I am alone in thinking one of life's little pleasures is pretending your partner has to be won over to allow one life's greater pleasures to happen.

I see now that I was wrong and that every purchase must be discussed in the style of a Star Wars prequel trade negotiation.

This is also a joke, btw.

Big Nick

I never understand when people write stuff like this. (sorry big nick)

I don't know, maybe I'm lucky, my wife generally supports my expensive hobbies. We have a pretty good understanding she buys stuff, I buy stuff. But I would never buy something and 'sneak it in' under the radar as I hear people doing. I always discuss biggish purchases with her. I'm an mature adult and what I do impacts on my relationship with my wife - it's called marriage. I respect her decision as much as she respects mine.
I have 'manned up' I got married and decided to share my life. Maybe the OP feels the same?
I bet your wife told you to say that!!

So what happens when you see a new bike which you deem you can afford and discuss it with her and she deems you can't afford it?

There's no sneaking it under the radar in my house, I say 'I've bought a new bike,, she replies 'what another one' and rolls her eyes and wanders off chuntering. I am mature enough and adult enough not to run myself into massive debts and also to ensure all the bills, mortgage etc are paid each month and she knows that.

If we buy something for the house we put it onto a separate credit card which we jointly pay off or buy it out of our joint household bank account, we have our own money and neither of us would want it any other way.

I couldn't be with someone who effectively blocks what I do with my disposable income, like I said it would be like being a child again for me but if you're happy with your lot that's your choice and fair play.

Last edited:
I am broke, but we discuss anything major for the bike say over £50 ( I only have about £19p/w after I contribute to the household, thats for everything), the O.H. has just loaned me the money to get new shifters for the bike as the right one on the previous set failed, the set up cost me just over £170 (105's) which the O.H. loaned me £140 towards, which I will most likely be paying off next spring, she knows how important cycling is for my mental health and helps where she can, even though I sometimes irritate her about cycling.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Christmas presents.....
I just ask for cash , i can normally get a years worth of chains, cassettes etc in stock .
It amazes me that some have to ask permission from their other halves to buy stuff, its like being a kid again and your mum telling you no to something you want!!

Man/woman up, you're an adult now and can make those decisions!!
unfortunately the kids always need food. clothes etc so they come 1st .

Big Nick

unfortunately the kids always need food. clothes etc so they come 1st .

My view still stands, surely you're adult enough to decide yourself if you can afford something after you've taken account of expenditure required for your children without checking with your wife/partner first.

cyberknight

My view still stands, surely you're adult enough to decide yourself if you can afford something after you've taken account of expenditure required for your children without checking with your wife/partner first.
That would be cant afford it then :smile:
Maybe being adult enough is thinking of others rather than me me 1st .

Big Nick

That would be cant afford it then :smile:
Maybe being adult enough is thinking of others rather than me me 1st .
You've missed the point

Why is someone selfish for deciding to buy something without running to their missus/husband/partner all the time for permission?

Just because I can buy myself something doesn't mean my family aren't provided for and I do 'think of others' when deciding if I can afford it or not otherwise I'd have a hell of a lot more than I do!!

The difference is I can work that out for myself, I don't need someone else to tell me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Christ on a bike, why is everyone only seeing the extremes of these points of view[1]?

I'm sure the people favouring a consultative approach to major purchases have a threshold below which they simply buy (a spectrum running from replacement brakepads, perhaps to a point below that n+1).

Equally, I'm sure the opposite side have some sort of threshold at which purchases are significant enough a dent in the household income to merit discussion - that might be high enough to mean a new bike can come out of petty cash, in which case, GOOD FOR YOU, well done on doing so well.

Jeez, some folk might just like talking through an idea to help cement their own "need" or otherwise for the item (a bit like the coin toss, in which the point isn't so much to let the coin decide, as to know, the minute you call heads or tails, what you really want).

[1] Is it the internet? I bet it's the internet.

Last edited:

cyberknight

You've missed the point

Why is someone selfish for deciding to buy something without running to their missus/husband/partner all the time for permission?

Just because I can buy myself something doesn't mean my family aren't provided for and I do 'think of others' when deciding if I can afford it or not otherwise I'd have a hell of a lot more than I do!!

The difference is I can work that out for myself, I don't need someone else to tell me.
I havent missed the point :smile:
I just like to be 100% open with swmbo about what i buy , if your situation if different then thats fine and i never said you didnt think :smile:

I just think we have different approaches that reach the same end !

Top Bottom