A case for confiscating the car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They've charged the chump with dangerous driving, and were it south of the border its a mandatory ban of 12 months minimum and an extended re test. On top of that its an unlimited fine and/or up to 6 months in prison if tried in a magistrates court, up to 2 years in the bin if tried in crown.
Is it?

For dangerous driving you get 12mths ban and a re-test?
Didn't realise it was that, why do some drink drivers only get 12mths then which is far worse in my opinion.

I've seen this elsewhere and commented their car should be crushed and the driver banned for life.... and that was my lenient view!
For driving up the road without clearing the snow off his car?

The bloke is an idiot without doubt and the consequences could have been catastrophic but thankfully no-one got hurt.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not all that long ago (okay, about 15 years ago) I was on foot patrol, uniformed, fully visible, police high viz jacket and all that, when I saw a car just like that one start to move off from a parked position, driving towards me. All windows were fully iced up, snow on the screen, just a tiny letterbox attempt had been made to clear a peephole. It was the worst one I'd ever come across, easily.
I stood and made the "palm up" stop signal, but there was no sign of him slowing... I (possibly foolishly) stepped into the road partly and made myself as much in his eyeline as I could, but still he kept going. As he went by, I slapped my hand on the side of the car. He stopped.
Before I could even go into the spiel of "Good morning sir, do you know why I've stopped you" etc, knucklehead gets out and wants to get into a fight wanting to know if it was me that had "slapped his car". Hadn't dawned on him that it was probably quite bad that the first time he'd noticed me was when he'd got out of the car to see what the noise was.
Sadly there's no intelligence / common sense requirement to drive a 2 ton box of kinetic energy and there are some real mouth breathers out there.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is it?

For dangerous driving you get 12mths ban and a re-test?
Didn't realise it was that, why do some drink drivers only get 12mths then which is far worse in my opinion.

Minimum ban of 12 months, which is now calculated to start roughly on the date you are released from prison if you get locked up.

The re-test is an extended one which someone who does them told me 'nobody passes first time'.

I doubt this clown will get sent down, but charging dangerous driving indicates some official exasperation with drivers who behave as he did.

Were I him, I would be making the usual offer of pleading guilty to careless because it's non-imprisonable.

A fine and a few points is much preferable to the prospect of hearing the clang of the prison gates.

Brandane

Legendary Member
For driving up the road without clearing the snow off his car?

The bloke is an idiot without doubt and the consequences could have been catastrophic but thankfully no-one got hurt.
The bold bit is the only relevant part of your post.
We have a crime in Scotland called "reckless conduct"; not sure if there is an English equivalent.
It is used to cover stuff like bored youths dropping heavy items from motorway overbridges onto the traffic below. Obviously a dangerous pastime as the consequences of a fridge going through the windscreen of a 52 seater coach might not end well. On the other hand it might miss, in which case "no harm done". Is that really your point of view? I make no bones about it, I am very much on the side of a public flogging followed by a long spell in a rat infested jail for these low-life morons. Yes, @matticus , please allow me to write the sentencing guidelines - it might make the risk not worth taking. If not, they can't repeat their stupidity while lying in a prison cell for a very long time.

D

Deleted member 26715

We have a crime in Scotland called "reckless conduct"; not sure if there is an English equivalent.
It is used to cover stuff like bored youths dropping heavy items from motorway overbridges onto the traffic below. Obviously a dangerous pastime as the consequences of a fridge going through the windscreen of a 52 seater coach might not end well. On the other hand it might miss, in which case "no harm done". Is that really your point of view? I make no bones about it, I am very much on the side of a public flogging followed by a long spell in a rat infested jail for these low-life morons. Yes, @matticus , please allow me to write the sentencing guidelines - it might make the risk not worth taking. If not, they can't repeat their stupidity while lying in a prison cell for a very long time.
Are you sure about that, is that why there is nobody in prison? Why even with the death penalty still in a few US states nobody ever commits murder, if it were true I would be 100% behind you, sadly on this occasion you are incorrect.

Cheers, I didn't realise you were the 'relevant post Judge' .

My view is the charge is correct, I think prison, lifetime ban and destroying his car is over the top.

If this fella deserves prison and a lifetime ban in your opinion then I'm not arguing with you, it's your opinion.

What's your view on the death penalty as a matter of interest, for crimes such as child murder or serial killers?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are you sure about that, is that why there is nobody in prison? Why even with the death penalty still in a few US states nobody ever commits murder, if it were true I would be 100% behind you, sadly on this occasion you are incorrect.
I fear that the answer to that is way off topic for this thread. Suffice to say that prison does not seem to be much of a deterrent for many reasons outwith the scope of my understanding. Some people are institutionalised and see it as a hazard of the job. Some find it easy. But the fact of the matter is that while removed from society, they can't be much of a public risk.

D

Deleted member 26715

I fear that the answer to that is way off topic for this thread. Suffice to say that prison does not seem to be much of a deterrent for many reasons outwith the scope of my understanding. Some people are institutionalised and see it as a hazard of the job. Some find it easy. But the fact of the matter is that while removed from society, they can't be much of a public risk.
Is there an answer? We as a society appear to have failed to find it so far, I once watched a Harty/Parkinson/Wogan interview once where some Sultan/Prince/King of some Middle East was asked about chopping the hands of thieves, when challenged about who had the most crime, UK or them, the interviewer moved quickly on, so I do have sympathy with your views, but they still don't make them right.

snorri

Legendary Member
Why is the law so soft on motoring crime?
Could it be that the basic laws were drawn up in the early days of private motoring when drivers were of a certain status and seen in the community as pillars of society not to be compared with the lower classes? Their motoring crimes were considered to be minor mistakes (accidents) not to be compared with knifings, shootings, housebreaking, bank robbing etc. and thus not deserving of severe punishment.
It seems that motoring law has never adjusted to the fact that nowadays almost everyone regardless of their sense of responsibility can be driving private motor vehicles.

Top Bottom