A case for varying your route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Two miles into my commute, I have about seven or eight variations to the route that I use with little change to the end mileage. One of the reasons for this, is that I realised a while back there can be a tendency to go into auto-pilot, and not pay attention, especially if I haven't quite woken up.
By varying the route, you're making concious decisions to go this way or that and thus keeping alert. That's my theory, anyway.

A case of this happned to me this morning. I had to take the Brompton into Action Bikes in Victoria for a minor repair, and part of the route is from Hyde Park Corner and on to Birdcage Walk. So used am I to the opening leg of an eastward FNRttC, that I ended up halfway down Victoria Embankment, in auto-pilot mode, before I remembered I should have left Birdcage Walk halfway down and a good mile back to get to the shop.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do agree it is worth having several different routes - for me there is the benefit of getting to know the area, and therefore being able to swap to a different route if your way is blocked in some way. Using the same routes though does have the benefit of getting to know where potholes are, what the traffic light sequence is and problem spots.

I do a bit of auto-pilot occasionally, but my problem is being too distracted by my surroundings ... buildings, people, cyclists etc .... today it was noticing a tree with lovely coloured leaves set about 30 ft back from the road, and a lovely lady on a bike decorated with flowers ... and the cyclist with a "30" balloon attached to her bike.

HovR

Über Member
I only have 2 routes for my every day commute, one goes up a large hill and down the other side, whilst the other goes around the hill and adds a few extra miles - I tend to reserve this one for bad weather, such as snow and ice.

I haven't ever had an issue with auto-pilot mode, especially on the hilly route. I believe this is because I push my self to go a bit faster every time, and try not to become complacent in my speed - Especially on the downhills, when I'll push myself to keep up with the fast moving traffic.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Good point. I've been doing a lot of the auto pilot thing of recent. Often I cannot for the life of me remember what the traffic was like in a certain part of the ride...or how I got up certain hills (was it hard today or not). I'm not sure if I should worry about this apparent lack of attention or not...perhaps I'm so focused on the ride that it all passes me by..perhaps I'm to familiar and need to mix it up a little.

trouble is, I really like my route.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
auto pilot has been known to see me set off for the local shops and rock up at work some 20 miles later... always a fun phone call home.

Evey: "That's odd. You came up as 'office'"
Me: .... er..

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I changed my route 5yrs ago to avoid 2 duel carriageways and a nasty roundabout to 3 different routes which merge me to my destination to work. These 3 routes to and from work all head for a short distance on the greenway near to work. Its a bit of a haunt and a place I feel comfortable with and spend time cycling there all year round........

potsy

Rambler
Been doing this too, though its more to do with avoiding certain roads at certain times for me.
Also the short cut thru the park gets avoided at 9pm just in case of stray scallies, but I really like going that way in the day time or just after dark/early morning.

Tynan

Veteran
I have five or six genuine routes but I don't really agree, I get to know a route better and better, every pothole, drain, dodgy turning, I honestly don;t think auto pilot is an option in Londn traffic, not on my routes anyway, it demands your attention pdq every day

I change from time to time because of roadworks, changes in traffic, sometimes to try to avoid a headwind, sometimes for the hell of it

Top Bottom