Partial chain case

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Been experimenting with chain cases on my winter commute bike for a while now and this seems as affective as anything it's open on the outside but gets little or no crud inside it . Over the last three months I've tried it with a simple six speed derailleur setup a single speed and obviously would work with a hub gear too , but only any use with a single chain ring .
It keeps virtually all of the filth off the chain and chain ring/sprockets while eliminating the problem of accessing the chain if it throws it off the chain ring with a derailleur or rear wheel removal problems.
It looks ugly but very effective at reducing wear/cleaning with the single speed it's been easy to monitor chain wear and it needs little adjustment simple to make weighs very little .
I know this approach is not for everyone but if you want a simple long lasting easy to maintain setup its not bad .

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_080346.jpg
    IMG_20231222_080346.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20231222_080423.jpg
    IMG_20231222_080423.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20231222_080435.jpg
    IMG_20231222_080435.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20231208_141244.jpg
    IMG_20231208_141244.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think it's particularly ugly. It's rather neat.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
How did you attach it to the frame?

I made a hole to match the size of the bottom bracket and removed the b/b trapping it behind that's all really it could be made lighter and neater useing lighter plastic instead of the roofing felt to create a barrier between the chain and rear tyre .

Attachments

• 17032458925928706393703416621797.jpg
    17032458925928706393703416621797.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Proper bodge.

Indeed I do like a good bodge .
I have found that most of the crud comes from the front wheel spraying directly all over the chain ring and just about all the rest comes from the close proximity of the back tyre as the chain pases by it if you eliminate these 2 things it's amazing how clean the transmission remains even with the filthiest weather.

Gillstay

Über Member
With you being on a single speed you could easily run the chain through a plastic ribbed tube. I have seen Dutch touring bikes fitted with this even if they have cogs on the rear and a single chainwheel.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
With you being on a single speed you could easily run the chain through a plastic ribbed tube. I have seen Dutch touring bikes fitted with this even if they have cogs on the rear and a single chainwheel.

Yes I've seen this myself and did try it a good few years ago once I found I had to remove the tube to inspect the chain occasionally but otherwise seemed to work if I remember correctly.

united4ever

Über Member

I am intrigues but cannot picture it. Any links/pics

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I am intrigues but cannot picture it. Any links/pics

I'm not sure that it was anything other than a DIY idea made from the flexible plastic conduit tubing used to protect wiring in the automotive industry that you then slit with a knife along it's length , it doesn't seem to come off and moves over the sprocket/chainring easily the tricky bit is the joint you've got to bodge it somehow.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Another thing I remember now useing this method was water got in but the chain never could dry out so I wasn't too keen on it for that reason.

Gillstay

Über Member
The Dutch chap I met in Switzerland, so he had gone a good distance on it, just had two lengths of tube over the chain.
They were secured to the frame tube to stop the chain dragging them away and covered the main straight lengths of chain, not the sprockets.
Also I don't recall them being split. It was the same black plastic tube though which is just slightly larger than the chain.