Lubing my chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
All your answer is fine for somebody who lives in the USA (and in your case a pretty dry area of the USA).

I don't think that brand is readily available in the UK.

I just had a look, it is actually possible to get it by mail order - there appear to be two selers in eth UK, but it doesn't appear to be in any physical shops.

Actually I don't live in a dry area, I live in NE Indiana where it rains quite a bit, and snow but honestly I do stay out of the snow, but I ride in the rain a lot, which I did mention that. I also do touring and bike camping, and of course that also means I end up riding in the rain, the bike gets parked at a campsite and does get rained on.

There is a lube sold in the UK that supposedly holds up to rain real well, it's Smoove Lube, since it's sold in the UK I have not used it so cannot vouch for how well it holds up to rain, but the reviews say that it does well.

davidphilips

Veteran
Another opinion and only my view, keeping the drive clean is as if not more important as lubricating, when lubricating always make sure the chain etc is clean as oiling a dirty chain is actually worse than just leaving it in most cases, and remember the old saying on with a feather and of with a knife in other words after oiling your chain let it sit for a few minutes then clean off all the excess oil with a clean rag.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another opinion and only my view, keeping the drive clean is as if not more important as lubricating, when lubricating always make sure the chain etc is clean as oiling a dirty chain is actually worse than just leaving it in most cases, and remember the old saying on with a feather and of with a knife in other words after oiling your chain let it sit for a few minutes then clean off all the excess oil with a clean rag.
Very good advice right there. Just as long as you keep the chain clean there's really no need to buy overly priced or so called special lube. My small bottle of halfords lube lasts ages and many hundreds of miles in all weathers. And with most of these things, lube is much muchness.

froze

Über Member
I agree with keeping the chain clean, but I disagree that you can go hundreds of miles on cheap oil without having to relube, I've been around far too long and known way too many cyclists to fall for that one.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I hire an orphan to run alongside my bike and continuously squirt extra virgin olive oil onto the chain.
The usual @Drago Drivel . I use nothing but the finest Beef dripping, except after Christmas when I have copious supplies of Goose fat available.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom