Lubing my chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Once a week or so.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I cycle eight miles a day five days a week

How often should I lube my chain ?
How long is a piece of string? I ride 150-200 miles a week and lube the chain when I can see it needs it.

A visual and touch inspection will quickly reveal if it's necessary. Lubing weekly on 40 mile base will in my view give you an over lubed chain which will quickly get covered in dirty lube and road debris.

presta

Guru
I lubricate my chain three times a mile using the finest quality oil that the Queen used to oil Philip's bath chair. It derives from fossilised Tyrannosaurus Rex, pumped from wells sunk by virgins wielding diamond encrusted drills in the sylvan pastures of Shangri-la. For best results it's imperative you buy the stuff inspected by Olive, the extra virgin who works in the QA department.
H.R.Owen sell it in Berkley St. W1 for £100 a drip.

Drago

Legendary Member
Every time I clean my bikes, which is at least once a month or after riding on wet roads.
What if you ride on a wet road more than once a month?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My drivetrain was squeaking like a hedgerow full of sparrows yesterday evening, so I applied some oil to the chain this morning.

It is still squeaking like a hedgerow full of sparrows so I will have to investigate the pedals and the bottom bracket.

Alex321

Veteran
I cycle eight miles a day five days a week

How often should I lube my chain ?
That depends on the weather and on the quality of lube you use.

If you are using a "dry" lube at this time of year in the UK, it will be washing off very quickly, and could need doing every ride.

If you are using a decent "wet" lube, it should last at least a week, maybe longer if the weather is dry and you are just getting small amounts of spray from damp roads.

froze

Über Member
If you're using a good lube like Dumonde Tech Lite, which is what I use and it last a good 500 miles, Rock N Roll Gold or Ultimate Dry can go at least 250 miles; ProGold ProLink will also last at least 250 miles. Those 3, and especially the Dumonde Tech Lite, I have found to last longer than any other lube I've tried, which is quite a few, but obviously I've haven't tried them all.

All I ever had to do with one of those three lubes is to wipe down the chain after every ride including the jockey wheels and a brush for the gears or gear floss, I would not apply more lube till I hear a bit of noise from the chain, applying it every week is an overkill and unnecessary unless you're using one of the liquid waxes in a bottle crap. The OP is only riding 40 miles a week, if he uses one of the Lubes I mentioned he won't have to relube for a long time as long as he wipes the chain down after, or before, every ride. Rain can be a problem, but Dumonde Tech Lite and the non-Lite version will hold up against rain extremely well with no need to reapply after several rain rides, as is Rock N Roll Gold. Now Rock N Roll Ultimate Dry can wash off in rain, but I've used and after a rain there was no noise from the chain so I wiped the chain down and used it the next day without relubing, no problem, but it is the only lube on my list that will not take a second rain and you will have to reapply it when you get home. Dumonde Tech is the most popular lube in touring circles because of the reasons I listed, and I know it works.

Dumonde Tech is a different lube, when you go to use it for the first time you have to clean the chain, then apply the lube as per it's instructions, then ride it for about 50 miles, come home, wipe the chain down after each ride, reapply the lube and ride again for about 75 miles wiping down the chain after each ride, reapply it for the last time for a long time, don't reapply till the chain just starts to make noise, which is true with all lubes. I've even washed the bike and still was able to ride the bike without relubing! Dumonde Tech is unusual in the lube industry because it's a type of polymer lube and puts a thin layer of "plastic" like coating on the chain and gears which is why the first 3 times you use it you use it in fast succession, which is why it last a very long time.

Alex321

Veteran
If you're using a good lube like Dumonde Tech Lite, which is what I use and it last a good 500 miles, Rock N Roll Gold or Ultimate Dry can go at least 250 miles; ProGold ProLink will also last at least 250 miles. Those 3, and especially the Dumonde Tech Lite, I have found to last longer than any other lube I've tried, which is quite a few, but obviously I've haven't tried them all.

All I ever had to do with one of those three lubes is to wipe down the chain after every ride including the jockey wheels and a brush for the gears or gear floss, I would not apply more lube till I hear a bit of noise from the chain, applying it every week is an overkill and unnecessary unless you're using one of the liquid waxes in a bottle crap. The OP is only riding 40 miles a week, if he uses one of the Lubes I mentioned he won't have to relube for a long time as long as he wipes the chain down after, or before, every ride. Rain can be a problem, but Dumonde Tech Lite and the non-Lite version will hold up against rain extremely well with no need to reapply after several rain rides, as is Rock N Roll Gold. Now Rock N Roll Ultimate Dry can wash off in rain, but I've used and after a rain there was no noise from the chain so I wiped the chain down and used it the next day without relubing, no problem, but it is the only lube on my list that will not take a second rain and you will have to reapply it when you get home. Dumonde Tech is the most popular lube in touring circles because of the reasons I listed, and I know it works.

Dumonde Tech is a different lube, when you go to use it for the first time you have to clean the chain, then apply the lube as per it's instructions, then ride it for about 50 miles, come home, wipe the chain down after each ride, reapply the lube and ride again for about 75 miles wiping down the chain after each ride, reapply it for the last time for a long time, don't reapply till the chain just starts to make noise, which is true with all lubes. I've even washed the bike and still was able to ride the bike without relubing! Dumonde Tech is unusual in the lube industry because it's a type of polymer lube and puts a thin layer of "plastic" like coating on the chain and gears which is why the first 3 times you use it you use it in fast succession, which is why it last a very long time.

All your answer is fine for somebody who lives in the USA (and in your case a pretty dry area of the USA).

I don't think that brand is readily available in the UK.

I just had a look, it is actually possible to get it by mail order - there appear to be two selers in eth UK, but it doesn't appear to be in any physical shops.

Top Bottom