A Cautionary Tale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
A Cautionary Tale - for ALL owners of cars with cambelts

I have a 2004 VW Touran 1.9 Tdi.

About 6-7 thousand miles ago (5 months ago) , I had my cambelt changed at Inchcape of Oswestry.

I said "Shouldn't my waterpump be changed at the same time"

"No need" said the Inchcape Service Manager.

Very sadly, I didn't 'push' for the water pump to be changed.

The bill for a new cambelt/followers/tensioner was £350.

The Inchcape Service Manager told me that the waterpump looked like new and it would have been a 'waste of money to change it'.

Yesterday, my car brokedown just I was approaching Telford - it started overheating.

I duly called the AA at about 10.30am and a patrolman arrived by 11.10am - full marks for that.

I was advised that the water pump had failed and that I'd have to be either towed home or be taken on a flatbed lorry. Unfortunately, the patrolman was unable to do this, but he told me that I would have a 'guaranteed pickup' in an hour and a half. He then specifically stated that I'd have a 'guaranteed pickup' by 1.15pm at the very latest. I was a little disappointed that I'd have to wait so long, particularly as my four year old son was getting rather bored and upset; I'd tried to 'fob him off' by telling him that we were 'having an adventure' and that 'soon we'd be having a ride in a big wagon', but that didn't work for very long.

I was more disappointed when I was phoned by the AA at 1.10pm to be told that 'Someone will be with you by 2.30pm at the latest'. So much for a 'guaranteed pickup'.

Eventually, another patrolman arrived at 2.10pm.

Bear in mind that

a) I had initially broken down at 10.30am - We didn't set off home until 2.40pm - over 4 hours after the initial breakdown.

:smile: I had my four year old with me AND I'd been 'guaranteed' that I'd be picked up within an hour and a half by the first patrol man.

To be fair, I must state that both patrol men were friendly and did an excellent job. The second patrolman was especially good - he told my little boy that he could wait in the cab and keep warm whilst he secured my car - which was much appreciated. I attach no 'blame' to either of the AA men - it was just having to wait so long for the second one to arrive.

Frankly, I'd be very pleased to know just what is meant in AA terms as a 'guarantee'. Please, can anyone explain what this means ???

I feel that it is most unreasonable for the AA to make promises that it cannot keep and to keep a member and young child waiting for so long.

Regarding the water pump; interestingly, both the AA patrol men told me that this was 'quite a common fault' in VWs, Audis and Skodas that share the same engine.

"The plastic impeller breaks off the water pump" said the first AA man "It's a 'known' fault". - Not known, apparently, by Inchcapes of Oswestry.

I'm angry with Inchcape and I'm more angry with myself, 'cos I should have insisted that the waterpump was replaced.

So I can only highly recommend that if you replace your cambelt, get the waterpump also changed.

When I contact Inchcape tomorrow, I expect that they will tell me that despite having done only 7-8 thousand miles, they will recommend that as I'm changing water pump, I might as well change the cambelt. Of course, by not recommending the water pump be changed, Inchcape only stand to profit from poor mugs such as myself - that will be another £350 - £400 for them.

It is bread and water for me for a few weeks.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
when our waterpump gave out (fiat stilo) the mechanic changed the cambelt as well, which made the job more costly. i have since found out that he did the right thing, and fitted good quality bosch parts.

he told me that on a lot of engines, it is essential to replace both at the same time or the engine timing can be compromised. the job cost about £300 iirc.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Good reminder, thanks.

When I had my first cam belt change on my Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi at a Skoda Dealer the Air Con pump pulley failed a week later. Apparently it can only be fixed with the cam belt removed. With a lot of complaining they did 'fix' it. Then I had the cam belt changed again and a few weeks later the Air Con pump pulley failed again. Coincidence?

I decided not to go back having made my complaints about that and other incidents to their management (it is a family run business).

I am now waiting another 10K for my next cam belt change and I will get another garage to do it and fix the Air Con at the same time. I will ask about the water pump at the same time.

I change my Cam Belts at 50,000 miles instead of the recommended 60,000 miles as I want an extra margin of safety.

Waterpump change at cambelt service is fairly standard on MG F/TF range - access to the rear engine is so poor that nobody wants to go in there twice.

Top Bottom