A challenge for Beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

Good Evening all.
I have posted this here rather than the Sportive thread because it’s something I’m hoping that beginners can aspire to. I’m only a couple of weeks into my training but confident I will be able to do the 40 miles!
52 days to train ...... no problem eh !!!
If anybody wants to join me we can get mates rates discount, my Mrs can take two of us to and back. As you can see by my profile I’m based in Crawley so a little bit of planning involved, but surely it can’t be that hard.
Fancy a challenge??? Post here
https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-south-downs-100-sportive/
Cheers

Simon.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Just to avoid confusion I put the link in the wrong place. I meant post your interest in a reply to this thread.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm not local, but you're sure it's for beginners?
Quote from link:
Be prepared for one particularly rapid descent just after Duncton — indeed, as well as testing your ability to climb, the route is peppered with technical drops, testing both your handling and your nerve.
End quote.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not to dampen your spirit. But looking at some of the quotes does it really sound like a beginners course to you. Do you know a 21 per cent climb looks like.

Pit your wits against a challenging course

If a timed hill-climb wasn’t enough as part of a sportive

Be prepared for one particularly rapid descent just after Duncton — indeed, as well as testing your ability to climb, the route is peppered with technical drops, testing both your handling and your nerve.

You'll find yourself at the foot of the day’s foremost appointment — Butser Hill, the highest point of the South Downs.

This unique climb isn’t long but tops out at 21 per cent.

snorri

Legendary Member
Sounds dreadful, thank goodness when I was a beginner there were no events like that in my area which would surely have put me off cycling for life:sad:.
Training?:stop:.

Edit.....Perhaps the thread title is misleading. Cycling can mean different things to different people, utility, leisure, recreation, touring and many sporting variations. This event appears to be targeting beginners in the latter category only, and not all beginners to cycling.

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
The 40 mile route doesn't look too bad, 2200ft of climbing is fairly average hilliness for the UK. Definitely do-able for a beginner if you get out every weekend and up your mileage over the seven weeks. Have fun!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The 40 mile route doesn't look too bad, 2200ft of climbing is fairly average hilliness for the UK.

Indeed. And all that talk of “technical descents” and 21% gradients is pure marketing.

They only give the ride 5/10 for difficulty on their own scale, so it will probably be reasonably hard work for a beginner but yes, doable.

Not a bad thing for a beginner to aspire to at all.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don’t know Butser Hill so I just looked it up...

Veloviewer reckons 2.4km at an average 4.9%, with 16.9% max (somewhat less than 21%!).
https://veloviewer.com/segment/1562691

First half of the climb looks easy, second half quite tough, with the steepest slopes in the final 500m. Certainly challenging but by no means impossible.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A mile ridden on a hilly route is like two miles on the flat. Don't underestimate how much gradients take out of you. Do you reckon you could manage 80 miles on the flat in one day?

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Thanks for all,the replies. Certainly some different opinions. I will do some more research and feel how my body feels while I’m clocking up the miles over the next couple of weeks.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
2,200ft of climbing in 40 miles is not hilly. If you're a reasonably sporty person and not hugely overweight a bit of practice in the run up and you'll be fine

To give some context, 3 months after I started cycling I did two sportives...65 miles with 6,500ft of climbing and 65 miles with 7,500ft of climbing. I wasn't fast but I managed to finish ok. You'll be fine, give it a go

Good Evening all.
I have posted this here rather than the Sportive thread because it’s something I’m hoping that beginners can aspire to. I’m only a couple of weeks into my training but confident I will be able to do the 40 miles!
52 days to train ...... no problem eh !!!
If anybody wants to join me we can get mates rates discount, my Mrs can take two of us to and back. As you can see by my profile I’m based in Crawley so a little bit of planning involved, but surely it can’t be that hard.
Fancy a challenge??? Post here
https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-south-downs-100-sportive/
Cheers

Simon.
Do you know where on the route the 40 mile secctionis being held, haveing seen past sections of that event there are some hairy sections, the section down Butser hill can be exciting if the ground is wet, likewise sections of the South Downs way are chalk, and as slipperly as hell when wet. however overall the route is dueable just take your time, after all the idea is to have an enjoyable ride in the Southdowns. If you want to get some off road practice in you have the very place next to where you live here in Crawley. Tilgate Park and forest. nice firm tracks plenty of hills. Tuesday my Partner and I are planning a ride around the Forest starting at K2. if you are interested just let me know. And dont worry I am a old wrinkly as well...LOL

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Do you know where on the route the 40 mile secctionis being held, haveing seen past sections of that event there are some hairy sections, the section down Butser hill can be exciting if the ground is wet, likewise sections of the South Downs way are chalk, and as slipperly as hell when wet. however overall the route is dueable just take your time, after all the idea is to have an enjoyable ride in the Southdowns. If you want to get some off road practice in you have the very place next to where you live here in Crawley. Tilgate Park and forest. nice firm tracks plenty of hills. Tuesday my Partner and I are planning a ride around the Forest starting at K2. if you are interested just let me know. And dont worry I am a old wrinkly as well...LOL

Well how kind of you to invite me! Unfortunately I’m on the night shift so it’s a non starter. I’m actually gutted. I’d love to come with you another time.
Cheers
Simon

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

2,200ft of climbing in 40 miles is not hilly. If you're a reasonably sporty person and not hugely overweight a bit of practice in the run up and you'll be fine

To give some context, 3 months after I started cycling I did two sportives...65 miles with 6,500ft of climbing and 65 miles with 7,500ft of climbing. I wasn't fast but I managed to finish ok. You'll be fine, give it a go

Thanks Nickyboy for your encouragement, and I love your Mantra on beer!
Cheers
Simon.

Top Bottom