A challenge for Beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well how kind of you to invite me! Unfortunately I’m on the night shift so it’s a non starter. I’m actually gutted. I’d love to come with you another time.
Cheers
Simon
That OK, Just PM if you feel you want a ride through the forest parks, being retired I am very flexable, unless I am our running one of the Local RSF rides..

This route is pretty much one I ride in part, or in full quite regularly. It's local enough for it to be a regular jaunt. Butser Hill ( in particular ) doesn't look that bad on paper, but it's actually a killer, because of the 'inverse ski jump' profile ( it gets very steep, very quickly at the top). The descent out of Duncton is hair raising even for a seasoned rider, as it's very steep, very fast, and has a very sharp blind right hand bend at the bottom. You've also got a stinker of a climb at South Harting to contend with, but it looks like the route uses the easier of the 2 directions. I wouldn't call this a 'beginners' challenge type of ride at all. As long as you get lots of practice with group riding etiquette, and know what the hand signals and calls are, and have reasonable bike handling skills, you'll be okay, but this route will encourage a lot of faster riders to enter, so you'll need to have your wits about you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom