A change of mind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wetdog

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi all, I've changed my mind. I have given up on trying to buy a carbon bike and will now be going metal. The thought of spending hundreds of pounds and falling off the first time out, frankly is to much.
I have been offered this, a Cannondale Synapse for £200. I thought I would ask on here as its the best place. It's a 2014 bike and is near in mint condition. Could I buy a better bike, I haven't got a clue but you guys have.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Providing nothing expensive is worn out and needs replacing and everything works as it should then at £200 it looks a good buy. Most importantly is it the right size?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why would you fall off the first time out? You can destroy an alu frame crashing too. That's seems like a good deal and presumably have budget for more sturdy wheels if required

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

Well I didn't think damaging an Alu frame was as easy as a Carbon one. Plus it's no where near as expensive.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I didn't think damaging an Alu frame was as easy as a Carbon one. Plus it's no where near as expensive.
Depends how much the frame costs, there are cheaper carbon and more expensive alu. You can dent or break alu. Carbon is rather stronger than urban myths suggest :smile: the forks on the cannondale are presumably carbon ;)

Enjoy the new bike

Wobblers

Euthermic
A 2014 Synapse for £200 is an outstandingly good deal. Provided it fits you, and that the frame isn't damaged. Have a very close look a the frame, particularly round the bottom bracket and where the frame tubes join for any cracks. If the metal is "rippled", particularly at the head tube, this suggests the bike's been in a crash. Either is a sign that the frame is junk.

Other than that, Cannondale is notorious for creaking bottom brackets (somehting I alas know only too well, as my Caad 10's currently sounding like a bag of spanners) - try pedalling hard out of the saddle, and listen for any creaking or clicking noises. Though at £200, even if you do have to replace the bottom bracket, you'll still have a bargain.

Good luck!

Lee_M

Guru
i did crash my carbon bike first time out. that was 4 years ago. Its done over 8000 miles since.

pclay

Veteran
A cannondale synapse Alu was my first road bike that I got in Nov 2013. Never looked back. Still have it 10,000 miles later. Love it. Provided it is the right size and is on good condition, it looks a good buy.

Top Bottom