A Classic Story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
@DCLane to be fair, you probably do more miles on yours than I do on mine as I don't ride to work any more and haven't done for years. It's still no more outlay than a cheap BSO, and you can't compare the quality and reliability. You probably wouldn't get it back if you sold it, but if a bike is useful and does the job you bought or built it up to do, then it's resale value is pretty academic anyway. In the scheme of things it's not a lot of cash.

Fredo76

Über Member
Nice find, and it cleaned up well. Never knew Raleigh did candy-apple metal flake paint though. But I've been out of it for years. My childhood bike was a Raleigh three-speed with the Sturmy Archer hub. Like 55 years ago now...

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Thinking about some upgrades. I've already fitted the triple Suntour chainset, cranks, pedals and brake levers from the Moonrun. I might fit the XC-E cantis but the ones on the bike are ok and it won't save much if any weight, or I could convert to V brakes.

I was thinking about the rear mech but I'm guessing choice might be limited because it's fitted with a Shimano RD-TY15 claw type.

I've got a MT-60 but it would need an adapter but I'm not sure how well that would work. Can anyone suggest anything?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thinking about some upgrades. I've already fitted the triple Suntour chainset, cranks, pedals and brake levers from the Moonrun. I might fit the XC-E cantis but the ones on the bike are ok and it won't save much if any weight, or I could convert to V brakes.

I was thinking about the rear mech but I'm guessing choice might be limited because it's fitted with a Shimano RD-TY15 claw type.

I've got a MT-60 but it would need an adapter but I'm not sure how well that would work. Can anyone suggest anything?
Yup, one of these
1637786876569.png

OP
OP
Oldbikefan

Oldbikefan

Few tweaks to the Pioneer. Replaced the horrible plastic Lee Chi cantis with shiny Shimano alloy ones. Replaced the all steel front mech with the alloy Suntour one to match the chainset. And added the finishing touch. Just need the all clear from the Physio and I can ride it at last.

Attachments

• 20220410_172752.jpg
    20220410_172752.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220410_171847.jpg
    20220410_171847.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 23

FrothNinja

Veteran
Few tweaks to the Pioneer. Replaced the horrible plastic Lee Chi cantis with shiny Shimano alloy ones. Replaced the all steel front mech with the alloy Suntour one to match the chainset. And added the finishing touch. Just need the all clear from the Physio and I can ride it at last.
Hope you get to test it out soon :bicycle:

Top Bottom